engine oil

mealexme

Oil goes black because of carbon and heat. If your engine runs about where it should in the temp range then no issues. You say it is 'nearly' black after 20 or so miles so that is pretty normal. If it was immediately very black then you might have an issue.

Did you flush the oil during the engine change? Or just drain, filter and refill? Because if you did not flush that can also cause it to go darker, quicker, due to the carbon in the oil still in it mixing with the new (not an issue, and I am not saying you have to flush every time)

Talking of oil....

I seem to be topping mine up every month! It's quite odd.

What i ahvent yet figured out is if it is a sudden drop or gradual. bar taking a log of whats going on daily im having a hard time finding a trend. aside from i take note of the date i fill and the last two times have been about 1month apart.

It may be worth mentioning in 2months i have done 1000miles.

Talking of oil....

What i ahvent yet figured out is if it is a sudden drop or gradual. bar taking a log of whats going on daily im having a hard time finding a trend. aside from i take note of the date i fill and the last two times have been about 1month apart.

How much would you say you have added, how many miles has your bike done?

Na, didn flush it. I did however put a new oil filter on it. chrome K&N haha

Talking of oil....

I think I know what the poblem is... You have an oil leak :P

How much would you say you have added, how many miles has your bike done?

Bike is at around 34k miles. I believe the oil filter was changed at around 31k. (previous owner had changed it.

If i rmbr correctly the engine holds about 1ltr of oil in total?

somewhere in the region of 300-400ml... imagining the viewing gauge from abit above the lower limit to the full line.

Someones : gonna get a slap! :hammer: :hammer:

but then you're probably right and i'm in denial.

An oil and filter change on mine takes about 3 litres. After an engine stripdown it takes almost 4. So at every oil change there's just under a litre of old oil dispersed around the engine. As soon as you start the engine the new and old mix and it becomes black. If it didn't go black I'd be looking for an oil pump failure or a blocked oil line somewhere. Because it's going black after a short run it means your oil is circulating well and that is a good positive sign. 8-)

Someones : gonna get a slap! :hammer: :hammer:

but then you're probably right and i'm in denial.

use your fists you big girl!

no wait, don't use your fists lol

An oil and filter change on mine takes about 3 litres. After an engine stripdown it takes almost 4. So at every oil change there's just under a litre of old oil dispersed around the engine. As soon as you start the engine the new and old mix and it becomes black. If it didn't go black I'd be looking for an oil pump failure or a blocked oil line somewhere. Because it's going black after a short run it means your oil is circulating well and that is a good positive sign. 8-)

that's good! I presumed there wasn't much oil left because I had left it to drain whilst I was driving a screw driver through the oil filter several times and cleaning up all the oil that went over the garage floor. lucky my mum parks her car on top of the stain so she will never see it :D