What to do next...

Hi

Having a little dialema with myself.

Nearly 2 years ago i did the CBT, bought a bike and rode it nearly every day for a few months. Instead of riding it for 6 months with intention to start taking bike tests, i sold it and bought a car (recall wimping out with the cold weather LOL) and now i regret doing that as i could potentially riding around on a restricted 600cc now.

Anyway, got that bug again and i wanna see it thru this time.

CBT runs out this September.....

I could wait a few weeks - busy with work/holiday pending and do CBT again in September.

I could try to cram in the theory test, mod 1 and mod 2 between now and September when the CBT runs out, bearing in mind i dont own a helmet nevermind a bike.....

I was gonna be happy with a restricted license but tonight ive read something about after January it changes so if i did the test on a 125cc i could only ride a 125cc without L plates therefore would have to go thru the full test option anyway. Not cheap.

So the third choice which im now warming to would be to take the CBT again in September and thatll give me 3 months to do theory, mod 1 and mod 2. That leaves me a couple of questions which im not sure on.... firstly, i had got comfortable and confident riding the 125 last time and id like to think i'll pick up again pretty quick doing the CBT. on that note, is it possible to do the mod 1 on the same day as the CBT (will fit in theory before CBT)?? And secondly, ive taken a strange liking to them monkey bikes.... assuming i can get one to go over 60mph for mod 2, is there any reason why i couldnt do mod 2 on one?

All becomes a little clearer once you write it all down and read it through :) any thought/opinions welcome

thanks!

If it was me;

Start now, get the theory done, approach some schools and work out where you will be going, whose kit and bikes you will be using and a rough timeframe.

Progress through at a comfortable rate for you, aiming to get it done before the rule change.

There is absolutely no reason you cannot start now while your CBT is valid, and then when it runs out do it again, even if it falls between Mod 1 and Mod 2. You do not have to complete everything while on the same CBT certificate, so why try? September is just when your CBT runs out, it does not have to be either a start or end point of your full licence process.

Umm, monkey bikes?? :?

Why not just go for an intensive course? Either now, or after September doesn't really matter but if you have to do the CBT again it will cost you another £100 (enough to get a decent helmet)

:cheers:

dont have the cash for an intensive course and even if i did, would rather have a bit more recent experience behind me first. i *might* be able to borrow a 125cc for a short period. Ultimatly if i can do the theory before the next CBT and do mod 1 as close to that as possible, it would leave me 3 months to sort a bike out and a bit of practise and mod 2 on a 125 for xmas. thats the goal.

How old are you?

If you can get your test done on a 125 before the end of the year then you'll still go through the normal 2 year restriction period and in 2 years time it's gone. Next year it'll get you to a certain licence level and you'll need to do another test on a bigger bike to start moving up.

If you're old enough to do it on the big bike then it doesn't matter if it's this year or next (but I think the age is going up to ... 24? to do it next year), pass on big bike and full licence. The tests might be changing from mod1&2 to a single on road test but that's not set in stone yet.

do it now would be my choice !

get your theory booked and as soon as thats out of the way, get your mod1 booked, best time to book is about 430pm any day as all riding schools have to submit their test cancellations by 4 pm to the dsa, so lots of short notice test dates become available around 430ish , that way you will most likely get it done in the time scale you have available before your cbt runs out!

You can do DAS but pay by lesson instead generally about £60 per lesson. Thats how im doing it like. You have had experience before so it will come in handy. What I would suggest is to copy me and do your theory first before any lessons, That way when its done you can focus to on the road training. Speak to a local bike school

After a bit more reading up on the new proposed laws it looks to be more aimed at under 24 year olds. Suppose I'm grateful I'm in my 30s lol I think I'll just get a 125 on a cbt and take my time, doesn't seem to be a rush after all :)