ADVICE FOR NEW RIDERS with just CBT - avoid YouTube!

Hello lovelies

Apologies for harking on about my accident (I've been sofa-bound for ages & v bored!), but I'm hoping to save someone else from being a dozey cow like me...

Please PLEASE heed my advice: if you have only done your CBT and want further advice on how to ride better, INVEST in more training from your official motorbike trainers or do your full licence. Do NOT follow instructional videos on YouTube from random bikers telling you what works for them - because it might not work for you. Or even worse they might just be talking out of their a*seholes.

Also, don't be stupid and wear your safety gear. I'd have come off so, SO much worse without all of it. there's no excuse - bought all of it v.cheap at BMF show.

I ride a heavy 125 cruiser, and found I often struggled with cornering. 1 month before getting married we moved house further from my work involving travelling on winding, badly surfaced country roads. 2 weeks before I got married I came off on a corner for a number of reasons, but mainly cos I was trying a different cornering technique I'd seen on a YouTube video the night before and lost control.

I have really suffered for my naiivety: been in a lot of pain, I spent my wedding day on crutches, elevating my leg, ice packs and wearing a compression stocking - not sexy stockings!! 7 weeks later still recovering, still missing my bike like crazy, the physios still can't determine what I've done other than 1 torn ligament and torn muscle (the NHS are cheap sods and won't just do an MRI scan!).

I considered doing some further training with CamRider to improve my skills before this happened - never having driven a car or rode a motorbike before & not having any biker mates to ride with I felt I could do with more training - but it cost £100 (as much as my CBT) so opted against it. Now I wish I'd have just done the DAS and got my full license instead. I definitely want a more powerful bike sooner rather than later anyway.

I hope my experience may prevent others from making stupid mistakes too. Be safe and take care :up:

hi mate,

sorry to hear all this, hope you recover sooner.

educational videos (on any subject) are nothing more than a theory. it is fine to try them, but you should be in full gear and not on the road. i watched different videos myself after i did my cbt but what really helped me was just practising mod1 exercises. i was really impressed how that helped my to understand the bike and to control it just after one hour of doing 8s, u-turns and other low speed stuff. After that i was not interested in youtube videos anymore.

hope that helps

Sorry to hear you're still not fixed :( :( :(

So what crazy new cornering technique were you trying when you came off?? hope you went back and left nasty comments on the YouTube video!!

I considered doing some further training with CamRider to improve my skills before this happened - never having driven a car or rode a motorbike before & not having any biker mates to ride with I felt I could do with more training - but it cost £100 (as much as my CBT) so opted against it. Now I wish I'd have just done the DAS and got my full license instead. I definitely want a more powerful bike sooner rather than later anyway.

I hope my experience may prevent others from making stupid mistakes too. Be safe and take care :up:

I have spent a good few quid with Camrider and agree entirely with your advice to get proper training. The CBT does not make safe riders, just legal ones and there is a big difference between the two. I learnt a lot from the guys there doing the DA training than I did from the CBT alone. A good instructor wants you to learn to be safe not just pass your test.

I hope you get fixed soon and do indeed get some more training if you intend carrying on riding.

So what crazy new cornering technique were you trying when you came off?? hope you went back and left nasty comments on the YouTube video!!

I believe she was pulling the clutch in whilst cornering.. :shock:

It's hardly the YouTube posters fault that she came off, we are all responsible for our own riding!

That said, I hope you get fixed soon BMFM

I believe she was pulling the clutch in whilst cornering.. :shock:

It's hardly the YouTube posters fault that she came off, we are all responsible for our own riding!

That said, I hope you get fixed soon BMFM

Of course, but some negative comments on his 'instructional' video might prevent others from making the same mistake...

Although, I am quite tempted to go and try pulling the clutch whilst cornering just to see what its like!!

Haha, I'm not sure why I did that, I held the clutch in when cornering for all of the 5 months I'd been riding, didn't realise :shock: . So that can't have helped with me losing control either. I was attempting pivot steering, took the corner really badly, went up on the grass - bike landed on it safe & sound, I hit the road. :bike:

I don't really have anywhere off-road I can practice around here unfortunately. Not blaming the video, just advising that it's a good idea not to try out techniques learnt from random people on YouTube if you're struggling with anything - like I said, it may work for them, might not work for you. I also have a very different bike to the guy who made the video. I've ranted on there and RebelRach has too!

It was silly of me really, I just thought it'd help. I was thinking of doing the DAS with BikeSense - they're not as far out as CamRider are for me, and I have heard good things about them. I had a great trainer with CamRider though, defo recommend them.

Altho I really enjoy biking, I've never really felt that confident - I will really benefit from more training!

hi mate,

sorry to hear all this, hope you recover sooner.

educational videos (on any subject) are nothing more than a theory. it is fine to try them, but you should be in full gear and not on the road. i watched different videos myself after i did my cbt but what really helped me was just practising mod1 exercises. i was really impressed how that helped my to understand the bike and to control it just after one hour of doing 8s, u-turns and other low speed stuff. After that i was not interested in youtube videos anymore.

hope that helps

Thanks, borrowing some dvds and a booklet for DAS from a guy my husband knows who did it earlier this year. I look forward to getting back on my bike and increasing my confidence and skills with more training. I'm well on the road to recovery, just taking aaaages is all! Back to work next week whether the doctor says I can or not - if I ever change job in the future I will only go for one that has sick pay!

I only watched 30 seconds of that vid and already I can see that his road positioning is all wrong! Taking into account that he's riding on the right he should approach right hand bends towards the left had side of his lane, and the opposite for left hand bends. Where he is positioned gives him far less of a view up the road and round the bend. :roll:

badcornering.jpg.dba1fce30702be3cfc51ff8586af0a55.jpg

How not go round a bend

Never trust an American to teach you how to go round a corner - they dont have corners in America!! :lol: :lol:

Countersteering is the only way to make a bike turn - you cant change the laws of physics!!!

Never trust an American to teach you how to go round a corner - they dont have corners in America!! :lol: :lol:

Countersteering is the only way to make a bike turn - you cant change the laws of physics!!!

Ooh, you're Angry JoeMan on YouTube! :mrgreen: Good response by the way. I watched a video where it proved pivot steering didn't work after the accident. Should have done my research!

Also, I'm back at work Monday - I'm getting lifts from someone who lives nearby, and they have found me sitting-down jobs, so I can finally earn some money again! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I also stopped using the crutches around the house yesterday - I can just about walk like I'm severely handicapped without them! But will hopefully get better soon. Seeing physio tomorrow. :D

Ooh, you're AngryJoeMan on YouTube! :mrgreen: Good response by the way. I watched a video where it proved pivot steering didn't work after the accident. Should have done my research!

yep, thats me! I need to upload some more vids of me on my Gixxer (When im not getting attacked by Squirrels!)

I might upload one to show that Pivot steering and steering with your feet is a complete myth in response to the morons who reckon it works.. 8-)

yep, thats me! I need to upload some more vids of me on my Gixxer (When im not getting attacked by Squirrels!)

I might upload one to show that Pivot steering and steering with your feet is a complete myth in response to the morons who reckon it works.. 8-)

Attacked by squirrels?! Hahaha - how?! My first ever proper scary near-accident was a squirrel running out across the road when I was going 60mph - it did this crazy jump and BENT it's body round to avoid my front wheel!

Ooh, I'll stalk your videos later or tomorrow :mrgreen: