question

Guest lukebolger

hey guys,

in the interest of saving money, is there anyway I can do the tests at my local centre without an instructor? just insure my bike - stick l plates on it and get it in a van to the centre? then it would only be like £120 instead of £320

yes you can do this, might be worth checking quotes first though. Im sure it wont be cheap to get insurance for a mid size bike without a license yet.

you'll get charged an admin fee to amend the policy I bet

I can see where you're coming from but unless you are very confident, I'd be wary of not having an instructor around being a false economy, doing it with a school and passing quickly may seem more expensive but if you have to have 2 or 3 goes at the tests then you might end uo having paid out 300 odd quid and still not have passed...

i know what your saying mate, but i dont think they gave me enough training on mod one. they had me doing mod two stuff till 1pm then i had my mod 1 at 230 so had barely over an hour of training in a factory car park with those little half cones.

im not opaying another 320 for that...

Hmm maybe they thought you were good enough? I don't know, tbh my school hires the actual mod 1 site at the weekends, so I had a good couple of hours on the test centre with all the cones and speed traps set up getting a feel for the speeds and layout of the circuit.

If you're not happy and do end booking more lessons then just tell them you want to spend a half day doing MOD1 stuff, if they refuse there will always be a different school willing to train you for half a day!

if you dont think they gave you enough instruction, what makes you think you're ready for another go without further lessons?

i doubt youd save anything by the time you factor in van hire and the insurance.

why not just ask them for a price for a one hour mod 1 lesson and the test