Difference between snap in and clamp in valves ?

jamesd1981

Hi folks i am replacing both my tyres and looking to get new valves with them.

The cheapest valves i can get are snap in valves, but it is not much more expensive for clamp in valves which look much higher quality, can someone tell me what the difference are between the two styles of valve ?

If I understand you correctly, the snap in valve pulled through the rim with a tool and has a mushroom behind it to seal against the inside of the rim with the pressure, and the clamp in type is much the same but has a nut and washer on the outside of the rim which forces the mushroom on the inside against the inside or the rim with the thread, this type was common on older bikes and is still used on some tyre tubes, it stopped the tube sliding on the rim.

Hope this helps.

Keith

I've never had valves replaced, car or bike. Never had one fail either (touch wood).

i take it you never had new tyres fitted? as they always fit new valves

Just what I was about to say!!!

Maybe hes sentimental about his vales and asks them to reuse them... Lol

I've never had valves replaced, car or bike. Never had one fail either (touch wood).

i take it you never had new tyres fitted? as they always fit new valves

Neither of the local places I take the car do and on the bike I've always said don't bother with the valve. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe valves are reliable enough not to bother.

This post has probably guaranteed me a leaking valve now :(