Touring Clothing

Hi all,

I'm about to tour Europe and want some new gear (jacket and trousers) to wear, preferable summer wear, and not too expensive. One problem is that i'm a pie eater, more pies the better in fact! So I think most leathers look bad on fatties like me.

Any suggestions?

It all depends on your budget. My Rukka gear is still doing its job 10 years down the line. 10 years of many thousands of miles, extremes of weather and temperatures and much abuse. But it is not cheap.

Where in Europe are you going? Don't assume it is always hot or you may have a grim time. You can hit a Blizzard in The Alps or sudden cold weather at any time. European Thunderstorms are something else. Make sure you have kit that can cope with both extremes. Even with Textiles, it is good to have an over-suit, preferably 2 piece as they are easier to get on in a hurry. It will keep your textiles clean and drier.

Budget textiles tend to be about a 500 weave. Rukka and the likes are 1500 and far more abrasion resistant. I have tested mine thoroughly. Modern textile materials such as Rukka CoolMax can deal with heat and cold.

Modern textiles also breathe. In order to do so they need to be clean. Wash them periodically with a proprietary wash such as NikWax Tech Wash and every 3 washes top up with NikWax TC Wash In. On materials where water beads, if it starts to soak in then it is usually because they need cleaning.

I ride in The Alps from March to November and usually only have a T Shirt under my Rukka Suit, swapping the thermal liner as I need to. A Pair of Summer and Winter gloves make all the difference. Even in winter on the Quad I usually only have a EDZ Yetti Fleece in addition to my normal gear.

Like most things, you get what you pay for but even a budget suit used in conjunction with an over-suit will keep you cosy. In order to remain cosy, waterproof boots and gloves are a must. Nothing worse than putting on wet gear in the morning when there is no chance of the weather improving. It is not always easy to dry your gear overnight unless you are staying somewhere with drying facilities for bikers. The central heating is usually unnecessary and off in the summer.

Sorry I can't recommend cheaper gear as over the years I have accumulated a loft full of bargains that don't work but hopefully the tips will be of use :)

I would recommend textiles, gortex with lots of vents you can open and close on the move, so big zipper tags. I have a Hein Gericke jacket and trousers (I don't see the exact type for sale any more) and that has worked in all sorts of temperatures and kept me dry.

Otherwise take layers and consider a waterproof over suit considering the amount of rain Europe is getting at the moment.