testing a battery charger

Stu

as above

who knows how to test battery chargers :?

my charger has been on for about 4 days now but battery is still flat :?

i charged the battery for about 30 mins with another charger and the bike started fine then left it on my oxford one which is a posh trickle charger :?

need to test it to see if its charging before buying a new battery!!!

Me thinks it sounds like ya charger is naff but there aint that much in a charger to go wrong so get a flat batt put it on yours for 2 hours try on bike borow another, reapeat 2 hours try start bike, if no joy on either is batt if joy on one not other tis ya charger

might just go buy a charger and battery :shock:

i recon its the battery to be honest as the charger has lights on to indicate what its doing and it shows as charging when plugged in but its only a trikle charger so the battery may not be losing more charge then what is been put in to it :?

might just go buy a charger and battery :shock:

i recon its the battery to be honest as the charger has lights on to indicate what its doing and it shows as charging when plugged in but its only a trikle charger so the battery may not be losing more charge then what is been put in to it :?

I've got one of those Optimate III chargers thats surposed to check your battery, and if it needs it trickle charge it. Anyway years ago my battery knackered so I bought a new one and left it plugged in to the Optimate for about 12months. I only used the bike about 5-10 times that particular year. By the end of the year the battery was completely goosed. Since then I haven't bothered with any charger and my bike battery is now about 5-6 years old and works perfectly. Next time I have a dead battery I'm just gonna buy a new one instead of messin about trying to charge it, personally I don't think these fancy chargers are as good as they say.

I charged a dud battery with my optimate, showed it was charged but was knackered, your local garage will have a gizmo for dropping the charge to tell if its the battery or your regulator, lol I know been there so many times lately.

Still reckon linking my bike up to the optimate when not in use is a good thing

fuse is fine checked charger with multi meter and i get a reading of -0.42 volts :?

my other charger i get 16 ish volts

might just get a new battery and charger save scratching my head :lol:

Get you money bags :wink:

fuse is fine checked charger with multi meter and i get a reading of -0.42 volts :?

my other charger i get 16 ish volts

might just get a new battery and charger save scratching my head :lol:

Get you money bags :wink:

i wish :?

turn it on.....rub the clips together. hey presto... they spark if they dont its fooked

its only 12 volt it wont kill ya

Just lick it.................You know you want too :lol:

its not the volts that kill ya its that amps :shock:

and at 0.6 amps im not sure im prepered to do that :lol: :lol:

Is that all.............You may get a slight tingle on ya tongue if ya lucky :wink:

Lets get a few wives tales out of the way.....

it not volts or amps that kill you its a combination of both above a certain level.

The "standard" type battery charger is a very rough and ready power supply capable of supplying 15 - 19 volts DC at up to 4 - 5 amps. when you connect this to the battery charger the battery will draw as much as it can ie the full 4 - 5 amps until it is starting to retain a charge. this changes the properties of the (internal resistance) battery causing it to require a lower current. this is where you see a drop off in the current drawn.

The "Smart" optimizer type of charger is not so rough and ready. It has electronics in it that pulse the battery with the same voltage (DC) but in a method that stops the battery from coating the plates inside causing buckling or reducing the amount of charge its capable of retaining.

The drawback of the optimizer is if the battery has been deep discharged or left un charged for long periods, it is unable to start the charging process. a quick 30 mins on a normal charger then over night will help the recondition.

so stu ... if after the initial charge on the normal charger then left on the optimate over night it is not showing a good battery ... i would suggest the battery is toast.. and as we know toast very rarely starts motor bikes...

happy xmas.

Elf

so stu ... if after the initial charge on the normal charger then left on the optimate over night it is not showing a good battery ... i would suggest the battery is toast.. and as we know toast very rarely starts motor bikes...

happy xmas.

Elf

thanks for that nigel

i charged the battery yesterday and it started the bike great left it for around 24 hours ( off charge ) and still started the bike :? i think im going to keep a eye on it and see what its like over the next few days

to be honest i think the charger is past it :? as it was charged a little with the fast charger just enough to start the bike then left on the oximiser and it didnt improve just went dead i dont think the oximiser is putting a charge out :?

i think i will borrow another charger and see :lol: