Help.. New bike, LOTS of problems!

Guest JentheWren

Hey guys,

In need of much advice, so if you have any useful comments it is much appreciated!

My hubby has been without a motorcycle since December following a horrible accident. 3 days ago he bought outright a CPI SUV 125cc motorbike and it has had nothing but problems since the go.

It's on a choke, not fuel injected, it's electric and kick start etc... Here's the problems:

1) Each day it takes around an hour to get the bike started.. It's hideously embarrassing! It'll start and putt putt itself to death and cut out. When you eventually get it running, in the first 5 minutes of being on the go, the engine cuts out by surprise (my hubby nearly went in to the back of me earlier due to this!)

2) The headlight blew on the second day so he can't ride at night.

3) The bolts holding the exhaust on have fallen out.

4) The barrel in which the key/lock/ignition is, falls out when you take the key out

5) All the electrics behind the headlight are totally exposed and there is no casing to protect from water damage.

The bike is 3 days old and I am outraged by all these problems. What a S**T heap of scrap metal.

Would there be the possibility of the dealer letting us get rid of it for a different bike all together? If not, I just don't know what we're going to do.

I have had a 12 year old kick start CG with a choke and it never failed to start so I'm so lost as to why it's so crap! I would of thought it being brand spanking new it should be fine to start, right?

:evil:

:(

you have got to give the dealer fair chance to correct the problems with the bike before you can try saying its not worth having sounds like they didnt pdi it correctly or hoped it would clear up as time went on but first thing to do is ring dealer and get all the faults corrected under warranty

you have got to give the dealer fair chance to correct the problems with the bike before you can try saying its not worth having sounds like they didnt pdi it correctly or hoped it would clear up as time went on but first thing to do is ring dealer and get all the faults corrected under warranty

+1, Ring the dealer and they should pick it up and get it fit for use :thumb:

depends also how the bike was sold to you. If the dealer said "this bike is a fixer, there are a list of problems as long as my arm" you should have no comeback. If it was Mike Brewer selling a duffer as new, you have a strong case. take it back!

sounds like an average chinese 125 to me. How old is it?

If it still has the original spark plug, replace it. These are known for failing fairly quickly and are cheap to replace. It may help the bike run slightly better, or it may not, but its cheap to do and may stop any future issues.

Simply replace the headlight bulbs, it may simply be bad timing. Bulbs blow.

This is a known issue with chinese bikes, check all the bolts on the bike every now and again and use some threadlock on the loose bolts. I can't remember if you want the blue or red one though

Invest in some ACF-50. This won't help the exposed electrics, but will protect the metal from future rust.

hope some of that helped in some way

Hi, depends on the contract of sale, if it was sold as seen then your stuffed but if it was sold fit for purpose then for sure take it back and get them to sort it. from what you have described l doubt it's brand new Chinese or not. If it is l would want it exchanging. Best of luck hope your soon sorted.

Unfortunately we see this too often, people buying Chinese bikes that fall apart, stick to the Japanese bikes!!

If the bike is only 3 days old I'd take it back to the dealer and demand a full refund and take my money elsewhere, even if they fix it more things will go wrong. If it was bought privately you can demand your money back as the vehicle is not fit for use.

I have one of these bikes mine is pretty good.

It wants a new cdi unit. Wireing should all be in the headlight housing.

Bulb and starting problems are the cdi unit breaking down.

Cdi is under the petrol tank. Seat off theres 1 10mm (iirc) under the seat above the back wheel, then 14mm (iirc) to release the tank. Shut the valve off and pull the hose of and push tank forward.

My exsaust nuts fell of to. I put new ones on because the old ones was nylon locking nuts.

Edit

Rust dosnt seem to be a big problem. Ive ridden mine all winter and the only rusty bit is the bottom of the spokes.

Oh TAKE the bungs out of the airbox drain pipes or they can fill with water.

Pm me if you want to know anything to do with the bike.

sounds like an average chinese 125 to me. How old is it?

If it still has the original spark plug, replace it. These are known for failing fairly quickly and are cheap to replace. It may help the bike run slightly better, or it may not, but its cheap to do and may stop any future issues.

Simply replace the headlight bulbs, it may simply be bad timing. Bulbs blow.

This is a known issue with chinese bikes, check all the bolts on the bike every now and again and use some threadlock on the loose bolts. I can't remember if you want the blue or red one though

Invest in some ACF-50. This won't help the exposed electrics, but will protect the metal from future rust.

hope some of that helped in some way

Hey, thanks for the tips. The bike is 4 days old, bought brand new, so the string of problems isn't very good in our eyes, that and the indicator switch actually fell out on the way back from the dealer!

We went to them and they couldn't do anything today however they want the bike in tomorrow where they will go over it. They've apologised sincerely and said that if we want a different bike after inspection then that's fine. We will find out tomorrow.

They've apologised sincerely and said that if we want a different bike after inspection then that's fine.

Sounds like a fair offer. I would take it. Seems like your bike was manufactured after a company-wide night out with lots of booze. So many issues in such a short time. What's next? I'd get it replaced altogether.