Failed Mod 1 help required

Guest stephen40

Hi just trying to get as much help as poss i failed mod 1 monday 21/04/14 gutted.

Think i got ahead of my self did every thing great until swerve test.

I new i was bit slower on it than i was on the emergencie stop speed was doing 22 coming out of bend think i looked down at speedo next to speed trap that was it looked up on on the swerve took blue cone on left out.

Got it again this monday.

Should i look between the the blue cones or over to the right cone or left cone depending which way round they send us.

I no that where you look you go just dont want to be asking questions on monday i am first one to take it monday morning thanks

Hi passed my mod1 recently I just aimed for the middle If you aim for either side may make it harder for yourself. keep legs in as I hit a cone on my precious test. Are you using a school to learn if so ask them to do some on the way over we used speed bumps hope this helps.

Just go fast and make a big swerve - you have such a massive gap, at that speed there's no way you'll hit the outside one so just concentrate on getting the speed up and throwing the bike to the side...you also have a good 25m to stop so no need to be close to the inside one.

1. if you was accelerating that fast coming out a corner in real life you would be stupid.

2. making it that someone needs to check speed before doing a swerve is stupid

3. a foot down on slow control being a major fault is really stupid. in real life if you was in traffic and going so slow that you needed to put your foot down you would do so or you would drop your bike. the idea that you should let the clutch out or let off the rear brake is a joke because the only time you are likely to be going very slow is in traffic and if you did it then you would hit the car in front.

first time i did the mod one he told me to go to the start and wait for his signal

second time i did the mod one he told me to go over and start when ready so clearly there is no set rule

if he asks you the first way ask if you can do it the second way and here is why.

if you get to start when ready you drive to the turn at a ok speed say 10/15mph and straight away enter the curve gently accelerating as you make the curve you then give it a little throttle on the exit.

if you do the start on signal you do not have a rolling start meaning you have to throttle harder from start making it seem harder and faster than it is.

is there any satnav on the market that allows you set what speed it alerts you at?

the test is to show you can swerve at 33mph it is not to show you can glance down check your going fast enough and look back up in time not to run over the cone. whilst i have not passed my mod one i did not fail it on the swerve either time.

1st time didnt do shoulder checks on a 125cc second put my foot down coming out of the figure 8 to go to next exercise.

you do get target fixation so look at the gap not at the cone you wish to miss

1. if you was accelerating that fast coming out a corner in real life you would be stupid.

"Slow in, fast out" is taught on just about every advanced riding course. It is also promoted in Roadcraft, the riding manual for Police motorcycle riders.

I guess we're all stupid. :lol:

Cheers managed to get on a private car park today set up cones for the swerve test did it around 10 time no problems .

Think the nerves just get to you a bit on the day.

Least i no whats to come now will let you no how i go on monday.

Hi Stephen,

I passed my Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests last week.

During Mod 1 practice, I once hit a cone with my right foot on the slalom (of all things!) and the second time was during the swerve. As I swerved, I looked to the cone toward the centre of the circuit and clipped the inside cone with my right foot.

On the actual test, I rode into the corner, gently leaning and accelerating all way the around. As soon as the bike is upright, nail the throttle. Just before the speed trap, glance at the speedo if you must, but if you're too slow now, you most likely won't gain sufficient speed.

"Slow in, fast out" is taught on just about every advanced riding course. It is also promoted in Roadcraft, the riding manual for Police motorcycle riders.

I guess we're all stupid. :lol:

I took my mod 1 at mitcham and its a half curve not a full. I was asked to go and wait for the signal. This was on a 125cc which the test is said to be suitable for. I gave it a lot of throttle and still was too slow. nailed it on the second attempt but had to almost rip the throttle off to do it. When Im riding I enter corners and speed up on the way out however I would never be going from 0-33 on a corner unless it was a mile long. Im sure for racing and track slow in fast out is fantastic however I want to do touring and find slow in gradual throttle increase out feels nice but what would I know I just drive how I feel comfortable.

You should enter and maintain 20mph in the corner and as long as your doingthat speed sensible rate of acceleration should see you fast enough at the speed trap. Also the way you come out the bend as long as you have the right line will mean that you enter the blue cones at an angle so the swerve isn't as severe. Never check the Speedo once out the bend

so does anyone know a satnav that allows you to set what speed it alerts you at? i heard a snooper 2500 does but i would like a satnav as i can use it to tour later on.

Also would anyone know whether this could be an issue to use and if so why?

It is my very limited understanding that you are being tested on your control of the vehicle not on your guess

of how fast you are going. the only time you have to go 33 is the swerve so the unit would not affect your test at any other time. i hate the swerve despite clearing it twice now.

great advice above looking at your speedo as you exit would be pointless because if your not fast enough you dont have time to go faster but you have plenty of time to hit the blue cone that you would have missed had you not been looking at your speed. its funny when you get there and the cones are all so close together yet when you read online you realize that on things like the slalom they are really far apart.

im going to buy a varadero 125 tomorrow and pass on that so i can take my gf about a little and it will give me time to save for a big cc whilst learning gears on a bigger bike. if i fail on a varadero i dont deserve to pass

Should i look between the the blue cones or over to the right cone or left cone depending which way round they send us.

thanks

I certainly looked at the outside cone on my second MOD 1 test and it helped a lot, and I also found it easier going round it as a left hand bend swerving to the left. compared to the right (which i hit cone with my toes) look to the outside cone and you'll do well.

Good luck for your 2nd try!

Thanks for info PASSED THIS MORNING had 1 minor against me for not getting to speed on swerve test got 52 kph emergency stop then second time round got 50 kph on swerve.

Had about 1 hour before hand on training schools car park i just messed up every thing i did.

Kept going wide on uturn put my foot down on slalom and slow ride and then all way to dsa center not getting in right gears.

Then it all seemed to go to plan in the mod 1 test just glad its out of the way now. Got my Mod 2 next friday morning but he going to try and get me in for it this friday if poss will let you no how i go on cheers.