Chain fitting problem...

iiisecondcreep

Some time ago we fitted a new chain/sprockets on the gsxr. We used a rivet tool like this: http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/did-zj ... 7394-p.asp Its never been on the road since but its now away getting MOT'd. The guy who is doing it posted these pictures on his FB of an example of why people shouldn't do DIY jobs on their bikes (his comments are in the quote boxes). He hasn't said its my bike but I can tell that it is (tax disc holder gave it away!)

When installing don't know what was done but they pushed the pins out back of the link.......

10308909_687939791284426_1405877774758922497_n.jpg

Can see face of link is barely pressed on.......

10305073_687939564617782_4463303925436324654_n.jpg

All riveted correctly and safe now this was caught in time and could have been a nasty one and very costly if went wrong

Moral is if you don't know then don't touch

This is reason for paying somebody with correct tools to do the job for you

When we realised that bike needed new chain/sprockets the advice from everyone was 'DIY', I wasn't aware that this was a problem that could occur esp when using the recommended tool. It didn't say on the instructions nor on any of the tutorials/videos I watched on how to fit chains :/

Edited by iiisecondcreep

Yeah we did. Also took it to another local bike mechanic shortly after the chain was fitted to get new brakes fitted and he also checked and adjusted the chain at the same time and never raised any issues :/

Edited by iiisecondcreep

I think i see what he means.

The pins are fixed into one side, but it seems you've managed to push them out the back of the fixed side which has meant there's not enough pin left sticking out on the other side of the link to "mushroom over" properly.