SV650 Not liking neutral

TomGrainger

For some odd reason my bike doesn't like shifting upwards from first when at a standstill. If I want neutral, I have to flick up into it before coming to a complete stop. If I try to half-click to neutral from a standstill then the gear change lever won't have any of it. It literally locks and won't budge until I pull away. I have tried letting the clutch out and pulling it back in, but this has had no effect.

Any ideas what's going on guys? Praying the clutch and gearbox aren't fooked.

check clutch adjustment first

there was a thread recently where I posted the full how to for the SV

if no different then I will put my money on your steel plates been shafted and it will get worse over time

trust me I know I had the same for 6 or 7 years with my clutch :lol:

So is it possible there's too much play in the clutch cable and it's not fully disengaging the clutch so I'm not able to click into neutral? Should I start by adjusting the cable and seeing how things go from there?

Just done it myself, I have an SV too, it's in section 1.17 of the Haynes manual. I really recommend you get yourself a Haynes manual because it's the first place I turn to when I want to know how to do something! It's not great for diagnosing the problem, but when you know what the problem is, it's it very thorough (mostly!)

P.S. Just make sure you get the right Haynes for your bike! I have a pointy, you have a curvy.