yamaha 650 maxim

mister-t

a mate of mine has brought a yamaha 650 maxim,as a bit of a project,we have got the bike running,it actually runs very well.but the problem is that there is a lot of smoke coming from the front of the engine,right hand side of engine,if viewing bike from the rear.it seems to happen after about 10 minutes,there is no loss of power when this happens.we just can not work out where it is coming from or the cause of this,so any advice on this matter would be much appreciated

thanks

a mate of mine has brought a yamaha 650 maxim,as a bit of a project,we have got the bike running,it actually runs very well.but the problem is that there is a lot of smoke coming from the front of the engine,right hand side of engine,if viewing bike from the rear.it seems to happen after about 10 minutes,there is no loss of power when this happens.we just can not work out where it is coming from or the cause of this,so any advice on this matter would be much appreciated

thanks

My initial thoughts would be an oil leak, burning once bike is at operating temperature. I'd be looking all around the gaskets and engine to see if there was any oil seeping out.

thanks

My initial thoughts would be an oil leak, burning once bike is at operating temperature. I'd be looking all around the gaskets and engine to see if there was any oil seeping out.

checked for oil leaks but can not see any,just seems weird that we can not fathom out what is causing this

Worth checking the plugs to see if there's oil in the combustion chamber, even if you're not experiencing a power loss...

we had the plugs out earlier on today and they looked fine,no oil on plugs,is it possible that cylinder head gasket could of gone?

Worth checking the plugs to see if there's oil in the combustion chamber, even if you're not experiencing a power loss...

we had the plugs out earlier on today and they looked fine,no oil on plugs,is it possible that cylinder head gasket could of gone?

Of course but not that common. There are different symptoms depending on where the gasket has broken. You could have an oil leak from a broken head gasket but also coolant so if you're going along the HG though you should check compression & coolant. I'm putting a tenner on it that you have an oil leak somewhere and probably caused by a leaky gasket (somewhere). Valve cover gaskets are more common than head gaskets for oil leaks - checked here?

Of course but not that common. There are different symptoms depending on where the gasket has broken. You could have an oil leak from a broken head gasket but also coolant so if you're going along the HG though you should check compression & coolant. I'm putting a tenner on it that you have an oil leak somewhere and probably caused by a leaky gasket (somewhere). Valve cover gaskets are more common than head gaskets for oil leaks - checked here?

checked for all visible signs of oil leaks but can not see any,but will recheck tomorrow when i go down his house

Is this after running the bike stationary or after riding it? If it's after riding it could be oil blowing back onto the engine from the oil cooler......or even the fork seals....... :wink: Clean up that part of the engine with degreaser......then spray some talcum powder onto that part of the engine and you should be able to see where the oil is coming from..... 8-)

Is this after running the bike stationary or after riding it? If it's after riding it could be oil blowing back onto the engine from the oil cooler......or even the fork seals....... :wink: Clean up that part of the engine with degreaser......then spray some talcum powder onto that part of the engine and you should be able to see where the oil is coming from..... 8-)

after running bike stationary,after about 10 mins or so you see what i can only describe as smoke coming from the front of the engine,but bike rides and ticks over fine,but will try your suggestion about cleaning engine and the talc method tomorrow