License types explained?

Hi,

I'm new to all this.

My daily commute is a nightmare and I'm looking at the option of doing the CBT then travelling on a 125.

The journey is 70 miles round trip so I was thinking of something like a Yamaha Virago? Is this a good learner bike?

I'm confused re what license type I'm supposed to go for upon completion of the CBT. I'm 42 and the journey to work is mostly motorway which I appreciate cannot be done on L plates.

Looking at the 2013 reforms if I put in for an A2 license does this mean I have to pass theory and practical modules on a larger bike. Do I also need to have a certain number of years riding experience behind me before I can do this?

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Conks01,

You can go straight in to a DAS (direct access scheme) course which upon completion will let you ride any bike (I don't completely understand the restricted courses but you have to do all the same things so better to do the full one) . You'll need to do a CBT (on a 125), your theory test (lots of helpful practice questions and hazard vids online) then the "big bike test" which needs to be on a larger bike (I can't recall the limit possibly 500?) Most centres use 600s or 650s (Suzuki Gladius / Kawasaki ER6N style)

There's no prior experience needed for the DAS, there are different length courses and when I was doing mine there were a couple of people who went from 0 experience to full licence in 5 or 6 days :)

Can't comment on the Virago but I had a Suzuki Intruder 125 which is very similar and to be honest I think you are going to want a bit more oomph on the motorways because you'll be riding at pretty much 90% of the bike capacity which I found was quite tiring as you don't have the luxury of a bit more power should you need to get past a lorry or the like. I also found my inner thighs were quite sore after about an hour or so riding but that may just be me!

I'm confused re what license type I'm supposed to go for upon completion of the CBT. I'm 42 and the journey to work is mostly motorway which I appreciate cannot be done on L plates.

I would say go for for the full A licence. As you are not under 24, so would have no choice, there is no real benefit to restricting yourself to the A2. The tests are the same either way, the only difference is the bike they are taken on:

An A2 test is on a bike of at least 395cc and between 33 and 47bhp.

An A test in on a bike of at least 595cc and a minimum of 53.6bhp.

I would say go for for the full A licence. As you are not under 24, so would have no choice, there is no real benefit to restricting yourself to the A2. The tests are the same either way, the only difference is the bike they are taken on:

An A2 test is on a bike of at least 395cc and between 33 and 47bhp.

An A test in on a bike of at least 595cc and a minimum of 53.6bhp.

took an A licence then bought an A2 bike (CB500F)

The journey is 70 miles round trip so I was thinking of something like a Yamaha Virago? Is this a good learner bike?

For a 70 mile commute I would be looking at bikes that have a full fairing or at least a screen fitted. Nothing wrong with the Virago though if you dont mind that style of bike.

You can go straight for the full category A licence

Looking at the 2013 reforms if I put in for an A2 license does this mean I have to pass theory and practical modules on a larger bike. Do I also need to have a certain number of years riding experience behind me before I can do this?

It is possible to do the A2 instead but then you are limited to 47bhp, no point, you might as well go for the full license, you will be doing the exact same test and it will cost the same amount of money.

In order to get your full license you will have to do your theory/ hazard perception test, Mod 1 and Mod 2. No need for prior experience. But I would recommend a few lessons on the bike you will be taking your test on beforehand.