CBT Passed, what next?

Hello,

I've just passed my CBT as I intend to get a bike to get me to work (50 miles each way). I was planning on getting a learner 125cc to get me used to riding, and get road bike experience. Also as a trial to see if riding is really for me, before investing big in the full license and big bike. However, a lot of people are telling me to go straight into a full license course as i will pick up bad habits of not, and will save money in the long run. Can anyone give me advice as I really don't know what to do! Also any recommendations on bike clothing for a modest budget, obviously without scrimping on safety.

Many thanks

James

I got a 125 after my CBT and rode that for 6 months while doing a DAS course in the last two of those months. I did about 2500 miles on it and loved it. Didn't pick up any (obvious) bad habits that weren't ironed out during training. I'd recommend it. Just, but a decent second hand 125 that you'll be able to shift for close to what you paid for it.

Others will say go direct to big bike; that's a totally valid thing to do too. :-)

Hello! Welcome to the wonderful world of biking! :lol:

I rode a 125 for almost two years before doing my DAS and for commuting to work it was great (only 10 mlies each way though). Fuel wise if you get a little honda they seem to run on air so you'll save a lot on fuel! I get about 120 miles from a tank (about 13-14 quid on the 600 compared to about 8 quid on the 125 intruder).

Depends on road type too. Smaller roads you're not going to make up any time on a bigger bike but if there's an alternate route by motorway you may want to do a full test so you can use these (as obviously you can't on a cbt)

I'd say it's always worth going for a full license so you have the choice but always good to get some experience first so you're confident with basic riding and gear changes (bad habits are easily beat out of you by instructors later ;) ) and youre likely to make some mistakes but this way at speeds that are likely to be more forgiving.

Lots of great gear reviews in the tried and tested bit further down. :thumb:

Thank you,

Yes there is a better, motorway route but I'm happy to stick to the A and B roads for now until I gain experience. Ok my mind is slowly being made up and gearing towards a 125 ! Thanks I will check the threads on gear !

Now who can recommend a decent 125 for a 6ft 2 man! I did my CBT on a Honda CBF which was a great bike, but maybe a little bit of a short reach so it felt a bit cramped when steering round corners.

James

Hi James, I am also 6"2 and ride a Suzuki GS125, which I find perfect in every way. Seating position is very comfortable, even on a long journeys, you can chuck it around the corners easily, no problems handling it.

I am sure though that there are many newer bikes that others would recommend (Varadero I heard is good for tall people), but I can't comment as didn't even try any of them. I prefer old bikes, the look of them, plus they are easier and cheaper to put back together if inevitable happens 8-)

Also think it is good to start with 125, if only to get to grips with basics.

Hi James

Congrats on the cbt[emoji6]

I'd suggest 125 until you find your feet. Once you have decided to move on to a big bike and full licence you'll be surprised how much more stable a bigger bike feels, I was!

Anyway regarding a 125 for a taller chap, I had a Yamaha xt125 and found it perfectly comfortable or if you want something a little nippier go the 2 stroke route and get a dt125

Keep us all updated on your choices

I had the Varadero. Simply superb. Very capable and, though on the pricier end of the scale, it holds its value very well. I got it as its one of the bigger 125s and I wanted to see if I could handle the size, given I wanted to move up to a big bike in the short term. I have a 45 mile commute each way and it handled it completely fine.

When I moved up to a DL650, the proportions were very similar and was happy I'd made that choice. So, recommended! :-)

Thanks James :D

So many choices I know, but nowhere near as well as with the bigger bikes. As far as 125 goes, think practicability is the most important factor. Decide on the budget, have a look around at what is available within your price limit, go and have a look at them. Mileage I don't think should be an issue, as long as the bike has been looked after.

It is a bonus if you get something you like the look of as well, but no doubt within months you will be itching for something bigger (faster).

Let us know when you make a decision :D