Battery voltage.

GazW

Is 14.65v when revving high a bit much?

I boiled a battery last week. Swollen and hissing after a long ride, so I've replaced the reg/rec and new battery and that's what I'm getting on the multimeter

Cheers.

Will it come down at all? Does seem a bit close to the limit, and the reg is situated right above the exhaust. Do they become less efficient as they get hot?

when you normally start a bike the reg/rec will put full charge in until the battery is full then it should level off a bit

any extra charge is put out as heat

you usually find the volts will stick to around the same but the amps will drop

when you normally start a bike the reg/rec will put full charge in until the battery is full then it should level off a bit

any extra charge is put out as heat

you usually find the volts will stick to around the same but the amps will drop

So it should be alright?

I fell lucky, it must have been overcharging for a while, I took my Mrs to Haworth for her birthday last Sunday, we thought Yorkshire had an eggy smell, until we realised it was following us. Luckily I was near home by the time I realised and managed to limp home at low revs, but when I got it home and let the battery cool I went to start it to check the voltage and it was goosed, wouldn't turn over.

I'll be out a fair bit over Easter and don't fancy getting stranded if I haven't cured it.

make sure the reg/rect is mounted firmly against metal and use some heatsink cream on the rear of it that helps it dissipate the heat from it

would it be a computer shop I'd be looking at for stocking this?

So it should be alright?

I wouldnt like to commit myself to a yes!!

as you have only tested it at stationary and not over a period of time!

did you check the old reg/rec?

I would also check the input voltage to the reg/rec too

put the volt meter on AC across the 3 wires from the stator obviously you can only test across two wires at a time so you have to do varying combinations

you are looking for around 70V ac

more could cause the reg/rec to overheat and blow

So it should be alright?

I wouldnt like to commit myself to a yes!!

as you have only tested it at stationary and not over a period of time!

did you check the old reg/rec?

I would also check the input voltage to the reg/rec too

put the volt meter on AC across the 3 wires from the stator obviously you can only test across two wires at a time so you have to do varying combinations

you are looking for around 70V ac

more could cause the reg/rec to overheat and blow

I'll check that then.

I didn't check the old reg/rec. Would have done, if the old battery worked, but it was properly goosed, I didn't want to hook it up to the new battery.

There's a large 3 pin block connecter under the tank. Would I be able to just test it on the pins on that?

Will it run without the reg/rec hooked up.

There's that, an earth and a little two pin block connecter. That's all the wires that were on it.