Heart monitor

TC1474

I have just got back from the Hospital :roll:

I have to have an ECG heart monitor strapped to me for 24 hours. I have not had it on 2 hours yet and already it is irritating the hell out of me :x

Even worse, I cannot take a shower with it on, and I am not allowed to remove it. Roll on 1.30 tomorrow afternoon, I know what my first job will be :thumb:

I hope everything is OK, nothing serious going on!

My Father In Law had one for three days, he resorted to sitting in a few inches of bath water and having a sponge bath.

It is just part of the ongoing monitoring.

I suffered a silent heart atack about a year or so ago (which I did not realise I had suffered) and now I suffer from Cardiomyopathy (Heart Failure) so I am on medication for life and there is a suggestion that I will need a defribulator type pacemaker.

Firstly I hope your ticker is ok mate :thumb:

Secondly, get the missus to give you a bed bath, could get interesting hehe ;)

On the first point, I actually feel great. I am still subject to all sorts of tests, having the medication changed, going to the heart failure clinic every 6 weeks having this dammed heart monitor fitted :x On the second point, I think we are at an age when we are long past that :roll: :oops: :wink:

Good luck TC.

Sure you will be fine.

Medical profession seem to be top notch when it comes to the heart.

My mam has had a triple heart bypass and to be honest if you didn't know you wouldn't tell.

My father's also have heart attacks and still going.

i got carted off to hospital with suspect heart problem but it came back clear after the 3 ecg's i had and the 2 sets of blood tests

When I was in Hospital, I was actually blown away by the number of people admitted on a daily basis with heart problems. Yiu don't realise until you are in the middle of it.

Medical profession seem to be top notch when it comes to the heart.

I have to say that I was treated at the Royal Berks Hospital in Reading and they are top notch. When I as discharged, I found out that apparently the RBH is one of the top, if not the top Cardiologist unit outside of London. That sort of fills me with confidence :thumb: and so far, I have nothing but raise and admiration for them.

My local GP on the other hand :x

I remember years ago when l was taking a first aid coarse the golden rule was in treating casualties, was to attend the one's that's not making a noise or complaining first, so in your case everything will be fine :) Seriously, were lucky enough these days to have the equipment to check and monitor you over. Hope everything works out fine Mate :cheers:

now I suffer from Cardiomyopathy (Heart Failure) so I am on medication for life and there is a suggestion that I will need a defribulator type pacemaker.

I have a defib (ICD) mate, had one since I was 22. Gets replaced every 4-7 years depending how your battery. This is due to a heart condition I was born with but didn't raise it's ugly head until I was 19. A cardiomyopathy is to do with your heart muscle, such as hypotrophic cardiomyopathy.

The 24hr ecg's are a pain in the arse. If you have to have one again in the future, tell them you had a bad reaction last time and they will give you the expensive non itchy tabs.

Had lots of heart operations so if you want any advice give me a shout. :thumb:

now I suffer from Cardiomyopathy (Heart Failure) so I am on medication for life and there is a suggestion that I will need a defribulator type pacemaker.

I have a defib (ICD) mate, had one since I was 22. Gets replaced every 4-7 years depending how your battery. This is due to a heart condition I was born with but didn't raise it's ugly head until I was 19. A cardiomyopathy is to do with your heart muscle, such as hypotrophic cardiomyopathy.

The 24hr ecg's are a pain in the arse. If you have to have one again in the future, tell them you had a bad reaction last time and they will give you the expensive non itchy tabs.

Had lots of heart operations so if you want any advice give me a shout. :thumb:

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I have dilated cardiomyopathy and it is my left ventricle that is knackered. Transpires that there is a history on my mothers side, but on the plus side, since my Uncle died of it 14 years ago, knowledge and treatment has come on leaps and bounds.

Silly thing is, I feel healthier now than I have done since I was about 30.

I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (well, I carry the gene and have the enlarged heart). Only got a positive diagnosis after running 80 marathons! That was then knocked on the head immediately. Not on any medication or anything as yet but have a yearly check up with probably the UKs leading sports cardiologist.

Unfortunately I have passed the faulty gene onto my daughter too which is the worst part of it all.

Have you both been in contact with tge Cardiomyopathy association (CMA)? They can explain a lot.

Most cardiomyopathys are in the left ventricle, dilated is self explanatory really but needs a close eye on it. Where hypotrophic can cause no problems at all except for reduce pump function (all classed as heart failure which sounds f**king awful but it covers a wide spectrum. It can be just failing to work slightly).

I was wrongly diagnosed with left ventricular Hypotrophic (enlarged apex of the left ventricle) but later found out I had Spoungy Myocardium, at the time there was 4 of us in the world with the diagnosis).

If at any point you are unhappy with your treatment, ask your GP to refer you to The UCL heart hospital under proff elliot. He's the leading expert in the world, and it's on the NHS.

I travel down there from the NW. Brilliant place!

my father (79) had a heart attack just before Xmas and i am well chuffed with the care he got.

My father lives in france and is having a good retirement, lots of good food and wine etc etc .. you get the picture.

he had pains in his chest and called an ambulance, the got him to the local hospital to stablise him and then after a consultation moved him to montpelier cardiac hospital.... drilled out 3 arteries and inplanted stents, and he was released with a week of being admitted.

hes never felt healthier .... but they have said they are expecting him to walk vigorously for 30 mins a day..... and then put him through a stress test after 3 months..... the whole event didnt phase him, but hes petrified about the stress test.... atm he gets a lift to the coffee shop, has his daily coffee and croissant and then walks back, he dont like doimg it but as i said, keep it up you wont use the car so much and your pension money will go further.

Heart surgery and monitoring equipment is amazing these days... keeps me in a job..