I went on my cbt a few weeks ago and im really enjoying my 125cc, im planning on doing my direct access but probably will wait till next year.

If i was to start studying for my theory now how long is the test valid for? I passed my car theory test in 2002 is it still the same type of thing?

Can anyone recomend any decent text books/training thats current? Or direct access books so i can keep training myself while i ride. Anyother general advice would be good to thanks...im on a budget so looking to get in on the cheapest route

Hello! Theory test is valid for two years - what you need to know though is when you do your mod 1 that is only valid for as long as your theory so you don't want to do the theory too soon as if it runs out before you pass mod 2 you have to do mod 1 again!

There's an official book with all the questions in - I imagine you could pick one up on ebay.

Good luck! :thumb:

There's an official book with all the questions in - I imagine you could pick one up on ebay.

Good luck! :thumb:

Or a computery dvd with that rediculous clicky observations video

I bought the official book, and though it was okay the way the way it gives the answers to the practice questions was just so inconvenient I found it unusable. You have to keep referencing back and forwards, when it would be better to letter the answers so you can right down 1A, 2C, 3C etc. then cross reference that with answers in that form. Instead the answers show the full text but without any additional explanation so you have to do one at a time, flipping between front and back of a very thick book.

So I gave up and instead ended up buying this app:

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/motorcycle-theory-test-hazard/id600089803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deepriverdev.motorcycle.hpt&hl=en_GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are questions about pollution levels caused by vehicles which I could not see mentioned in the non-test parts official book, but learned from just doing all the practice questions on the app. Cannot recommend that part of it high enough, especially as I got 50/50 on the actual test so it clearly worked on me.

The hazard perception part was useful, but it scared me against over clicking which I think worked against me on the actual test. It does not help that they, and any other unofficial app, can only guess at the algorithm used to decide whether to disqualify an attempt so may have been more harsh than the actual test.

Also the video quality was pretty low, especially given it was part of the app and not streaming, so seeing things like fuzzy distant people appear in small gaps between trees is pretty difficult. Especially when you are worried to not want to click unless you are absolutely certain. Yet on some of them you could also see a hazard before it starts registering as one.

In the end I only managed 48/75, just enough to pass but could have been better had I felt more confident clicking. I know on one of the videos I messed up because I saw the cause of something which would develop into a hazard, so was already expecting what happened next and never thought to click on emergence of the vehicle that I am sure was technically the hazard.

The app does not offer anything more than finding videos online but I think is still worth the few extra pence, even if to just watch to practice looking for hazards, to justify the version of the app with the videos.

I'd second your views. The practice theory questions really helped me, I got the same score. And like you the mock hazard perception I found was different enough in the real test that while I passed was much closer. I even got disqualified on one question for too many clicks.

What I hadn't twigged on the real hazard perception test is that with the exception of 1 scenario all have a single hazard that you need to point out, and that anything else you point out is ignored (and may get you disqualified of it looks like random clicking). The double hazard scenario of course needs two clicks.

As training Apps they're not perfect but they helped me get through it first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HOGGS TOP THEORY TEST TIP is for the stupid clicking thing, click when you see the hazzard (a car coming down an side road) click again when it develops (hmm that side road car isnt slowing down) then click again when the hazard has developed (arrgghhh wtf crazy side road car). Don't go crazy with the clicks but I failed my first theory test on the hazard stuff because I was terrified of overclicking and think I clicked too early on a lot of them so got nill point. A couple of clicks as the hazard develops will hopefully ensure you get at least a couple of points (think the second time I got 63 so more clicking is better just don't click in a pattern or when there's nothing on screen!)

Plenty of free mock tests online or free apps on both Android/IOS.

No need to pay.

There are, but all the ones I saw are demos of paid apps and only include around 50 questions.

Could you recommend any free apps that actually have enough range to teach you what you need to know for the actual test?

The HOGGS TOP THEORY TEST TIP is for the stupid clicking thing, click when you see the hazzard (a car coming down an side road) click again when it develops (hmm that side road car isnt slowing down) then click again when the hazard has developed (arrgghhh wtf crazy side road car). Don't go crazy with the clicks but I failed my first theory test on the hazard stuff because I was terrified of overclicking and think I clicked too early on a lot of them so got nill point. A couple of clicks as the hazard develops will hopefully ensure you get at least a couple of points (think the second time I got 63 so more clicking is better just don't click in a pattern or when there's nothing on screen!)

I'm pretty sure the hazard perception is made by someone who has never ridden a bike; when I did some practise ones on a theory test DVD I bought, I kept clicking too early and came to the conclusion that a cager had made the test because many of the points when you were supposed to click were really far too late to observe a potential hazard on a bike :lol:

Also, I swear that most of the bike theory test is about what to do when following a bike rather than riding one! Bureaucratic prats with no riding experience once again. Couldn't help but notice that every single hazard perception video in my test had a bike riding right in front!

I'm pretty sure the hazard perception is made by someone who has never ridden a bike;

I thought the exact same thing!

I just passed by thinking like an audi driver and only click when you have to press the brake pedal :lol:

I believe I used this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deepriverdev.motolite&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is the free version of the one I recommended. Admittedly it has more than 50 questions, but still only covers half the topics.

If you were able to pass without needing to cover the over half of the test then congratulations, but personally I would not feel comfortable recommending that approach to others. To me is is better to waste less than £3 on an app than to risk another £23 plus the time and travel costs of having to retake the test.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

First of, good forum

Basically, Ive got my theory test tomorrow and my instructor has been going over it with me as well as taking practise tests at home. The thing is, no matter how much I read the highway code, I keep failing these practise tests by 2 or 3 questions. Im okay with the hazard perception part but when it comes to the actual test, Im at a loss. Anyone help?

Cheers,

Jack