Suzuki Marauder help

Phooey

Guys a friend of mine has a Marauder 125 2008 and she is struggling to get an answer. She get about 25mph out of it and has put it into a local garage and has been told it was everything and anything ... she has so far had the following done to it.

Electrics tested, had new choke cable, new throttle position sensor, new CDI, new carburettor and new engine ... Nothing seems to have worked. and it still only does 25 mph! Any idea's guys?

got a bit more info which makes a difference now ... engine was changed first because it wasn't a suzuki engine in there when the bike was bought and parts were difficult to source, it did do a good speed though ... after the engine was swopped for a genuine suzuki lump it would only do 25 mph. Then all the other bits were changed!

This could be a bit difficult diagnosing a problem theough a third party

When its riding is it running ok just very slow?

Is it over revving i.e incorrect gearing?

Does it rev up/accelerate up to 25 or does it just bumble up to the speed?

first things first then compression check because if it done that after changing engine but before changing any other parts it could be low compression valve gap need resettinig cam timing out the list is fairly big to be honest but compression check would be a good starting point

This could be a bit difficult diagnosing a problem theough a third party

When its riding is it running ok just very slow?

Is it over revving i.e incorrect gearing?

Does it rev up/accelerate up to 25 or does it just bumble up to the speed?

Just spoke to her and she says it runs ok just slow ... Under revving it how she described it ... like it wont go any faster! Imaging it being restriced to 25mph ... Sounds like what is happening.

first things first then compression check because if it done that after changing engine but before changing any other parts it could be low compression valve gap need resettinig cam timing out the list is fairly big to be honest but compression check would be a good starting point

SHe doesn't know if compression was checked but she does know that they checked and adjusted timing! Assuming correctly.

not sure why it would have the problem then but they should of not been paid as they seem to have created a problem that didnt exist before and i would be telling them to refit the original engine and refund any money paid for the engine they fitted as something is not right somewhere with it

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys I got the bike in my possession now and rode her up the road. Two things that is obvious.

1) can't get revs above about 3K ... traced cable through to carb and full travel exists but no increase of revs above about half the travel.

2) after giving a bit of rev the throttle leaver returns to home but revs remain high ... again traced back to carb and mechanism has all returned. ie no sticking.

Ideas where to start ... carb shagged possibly? despite the fact they claimed to have replaced it!

has t he main jet fallen out or blocked as its at about 3000rpm the transition from primary jet to main jet takes place so it could well be carb related check its all clean check the needle is set correctly and make sure the slide in the carb is moving freely and correctly located,if its got a cv type carb on it then check condition of diaphram

has t he main jet fallen out or blocked as its at about 3000rpm the transition from primary jet to main jet takes place so it could well be carb related check its all clean check the needle is set correctly and make sure the slide in the carb is moving freely and correctly located,if its got a cv type carb on it then check condition of diaphram

Excellent ... I'll take a look at that

Ok guys ... I got the carb off to clean and thought I'd check the main jet. I looked up on the standard size and it said 102.5. The one in the carb is 110. Will that cause the problem? Thanks.

p.s. Sorry about the middle finger icon earlier ... clicked wrong one and didn't notice till hours later!

Ok swapped with standard 102.5 and it runs faster ... I manage 40mph with me on it ... previously 25mph. Still not running right though. Bit rough and lumpy. Will run a bit of redex through just in case the valves are crappy. Apparently these super mechanics had it for five months and couldn't solve this problem. They claim to have rebuilt engine too.!

What suggestions to improve from here guys?

Thanks for getting me this far. :D

mixture will very possibly need setting up now you have changed the jet do a basic set up on it to start with turn mixture screw all the way in until it just touches then turn it out 1 1/2 turns as in 1.5 turns and see how it runs then you can slowly adjust it from there also check needle height in the slide

diaphram is ok.

1186859477_20160730_1052491.thumb.jpg.86dc0fed280b913b48144a93a6052eaa.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is on the side of the carb? Is it something that can or needs to be adjusted?

253968141_20160730_1053251.thumb.jpg.593d0435cec28f275512aa39c1ae3cae.jpg

Is this the mixture screw? The manual shows a slightly different carb!

Thanks again guys.

dealt with mixture doesn't seem to make any difference. I did however discover a plug on the exhaust that was not connected to anything. Can't see anywhere where it should connect. Any thoughts? Could this cause rough running, lac of top end, and erratic revs especially on tick over ?

diaphram is ok.

[attachment=1]20160730_105249[1].jpg[/attachment]

Can anyone tell me what this is on the side of the carb? Is it something that can or needs to be adjusted?

[attachment=0]20160730_105325[1].jpg[/attachment]

Is this the mixture screw? The manual shows a slightly different carb!

Thanks again guys.

The first picture is showing your throttle sensor (which if you have moved could be causing you some problems)

The second picture will be your fuel mixture screw , which is always engine side of the carb , also the pictures show that the carb isnt pushed firmly enough into the rubber connector if air is getting in there it will run rough :wink:

dealt with mixture doesn't seem to make any difference. I did however discover a plug on the exhaust that was not connected to anything. Can't see anywhere where it should connect. Any thoughts? Could this cause rough running, lac of top end, and erratic revs especially on tick over ?

Reading through your post I'm a little bit fuddled here, the 2008 shows it to be fuel injected, with the throttle sensor on the carb and is the plug on the exhaust which could be a Lamda sensor, which seem to back it up, do you get any fault codes or flashing fault lights :(

also the pictures show that the carb isn't pushed firmly enough into the rubber connector if air is getting in there it will run rough :wink:

Carb has been positioned and tightened since photo taken. Now I have the bike in my possession I can say it's a 2006 not 2008. The sensor on the carb, if I loosen the screws slightly and move the unit - only a small amount of movement is permitted though, max 8 - 10mm I'd guess, how will I tell if it's in the right place.

Sorry, this isn't my bike and I am trying to help out a young lady get her pride and joy back on the road after months of being layed up in a garage.

also the pictures show that the carb isn't pushed firmly enough into the rubber connector if air is getting in there it will run rough :wink:

Carb has been positioned and tightened since photo taken. Now I have the bike in my possession I can say it's a 2006 not 2008. The sensor on the carb, if I loosen the screws slightly and move the unit - only a small amount of movement is permitted though, max 8 - 10mm I'd guess, how will I tell if it's in the right place.

Sorry, this isn't my bike and I am trying to help out a young lady get her pride and joy back on the road after months of being layed up in a garage.

Hi Phooey, does the bike give out any fault lights and is the TPS attached to anything elecrically :wink: