advidce needed...

jimsoon

so i picked up my 1st bike yesterday, after wanting one for a few years, i found it on ebay gpr50 and paid £150 (i know why it was so cheap now)....

Theres oil over everything, the fairings are knackered, the wiring looks like it was nibbled at by a hamster and is full of spade connectors, there are no keys, (well half a key in the ignition switched on), the chain is about 4 links too big, there was no battery (it starts with a bump though)

rant over heres the main reason for the post....

I put a new battery in today, and tried the electric start, it made the right noises but didnt really sound like it was turning the engine.

I took the starter motor out and the spring that pushes the solenoid back was in bits. Can I get a new spring or do I need a whole new starter motor? I've only seen genuine parts so far and they were charging £179. If the spings arent availible could i pick up a cheap motor from fleebay get the spring from that and fit it?

or...

Is this acctually the problem or could it be something else. Its the first time ive worked on a bike but I've been messing with cars for a few years now.

i belive the spring is meant to go in here to return the solenoid so as not to have the starter spinning all the time....

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/minston2/22062008092.jpg

excuse the pic quality.

so i picked up my 1st bike yesterday, after wanting one for a few years, i found it on ebay gpr50 and paid £150 (i know why it was so cheap now)....

Theres oil over everything, the fairings are knackered, the wiring looks like it was nibbled at by a hamster and is full of spade connectors, there are no keys, (well half a key in the ignition switched on), the chain is about 4 links too big, there was no battery (it starts with a bump though)

rant over heres the main reason for the post....

I put a new battery in today, and tried the electric start, it made the right noises but didnt really sound like it was turning the engine.

I took the starter motor out and the spring that pushes the solenoid back was in bits. Can I get a new spring or do I need a whole new starter motor? I've only seen genuine parts so far and they were charging £179. If the spings arent availible could i pick up a cheap motor from fleebay get the spring from that and fit it?

or...

Is this acctually the problem or could it be something else. Its the first time ive worked on a bike but I've been messing with cars for a few years now.

Why did you buy it if it had all these things wrong with it?

cos im an idiot! Its not too bad really just lots of little things to do to make it right and I thought i'd get a better understanding of how bikes worked if i started with a sh!tter then if anything goes wrong i can have a go at it. thats how I learnt on my car.

right its trying to start but not turning the engine i get an odd splutter of exhaust, but it doesnt kick up. could the battery need a boost, it was brand new should i bump start and run it a bit to charge the battery?

cos im an idiot!

Its not too bad really just lots of little things to do to make it right

and I thought i'd get a better understanding of how bikes worked if i started with a poo then if anything goes wrong i can have a go at it.

thats how I learnt on my car.

In that case, I think you'll learn a great deal :twisted: :wink:

still need help, the starter is spinning the flywheel but not starting the engine. and the starter does disengage when i let the button out. whats on the other side of the flywheel? is there anything there that could be broken, it still bump starts though.

please help!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Derbi-GPR50-GPR-50-Engine-Assembly_W0QQitemZ160165125274QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Thought about just replacing the engine?

Is the starter motor throwing the actual piston over? take the spark plug out, put your thumb over the hole, and turn it over. If you feel pressure building up and pushing your thumb off, then it's just not spinning it over fast enough, so try charging the battery.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Derbi-GPR50-GPR-50-Engine-Assembly_W0QQitemZ160165125274QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Thought about just replacing the engine?

Is the starter motor throwing the actual piston over? take the spark plug out, put your thumb over the hole, and turn it over. If you feel pressure building up and pushing your thumb off, then it's just not spinning it over fast enough, so try charging the battery.

thanks,

i'll thry that tommorow, and try charging the battery, i did my cbt today, i should have bought a 125 oh well, if i get it going it might be for sale soon!

its got low compression, i took the head off and the piston was slightly 'loose in the barrel, so i guess i need a new pston kit. hopefully anyway as its only £20 rather than £100+ for the barrel kit.

thanks for the help!

edit: Wrong, the barrel and piston are both scored so new kit for me then,.

• 2 weeks later...

put the new piston and barrel on today, and pushed the button, it turned over without any trouble, it didn't let it fire up so i could check for leaks, nothing leaking so i thought i was in there! so i treid again and it 'clicked' then nothing. could the batttery need charging?

i cant push the bike when its in gear, i think its cos the starter is stuck in the engaged position now, need a new oe there, but would that cause the rear wheel be locked when in gear?

You charged the battery on Friday 27th, so uness you have tried for so long that it has gone flat, then it should be fine... At the very least it won't do any harm to put the charger on to top it up anyway.

I haven't worked on bikes much (yet...!), but on plenty of classic/vintage cars, so I imagine the principles are the same.

If the starter solenoid is clicking, then the fault must be further on - either the cables, flat battery (easy to check), or starter. As the starter was spinning just beforehand we could initially rule that out, leaving you to check the cables/connections and charge the battery.

If this doesn't work, the starter could have stuck. This may be because you have got a bit of dirt/grease/oil on the splines when you changed it. Putting it in top gear (because resistance is less than in first) and trying to turn the engine may rock it free. If it is jammed solid, then you need to take the starter off and check/clean it.

Next job would be to get a manual somehow!

i hate to pick fault with any bike but judging by the wrecked state it seems to be in ...i would have told the guy to shove it and offered him a gallon of petrol to dispose of it.

more trouble than it will ever be worth. sorry

well i took the starter off it was fine, so i drained the coolant and took the barrell off, came off easy so it wasnt the piston seized to the barrell. the crank was seized so i got my socket on to the nut on the fly wheel, turned it, it was tight as but eventually it creaked then turned freely.

i put it all back together and refilled the coolant, connected the battery, which i had charged, and pressed the button it fired up! yey!!!!

it ran for a minute the and idled ok, then it died, now i'm back to where i was when i got it. it wont start on the button again. i did the put me thumb over the spark plug hole and crank it and it has compression, im stumped!

anybody got a 125 for sale cheap??lol

My limited knowledge surgestd this :lol:

Has it got fresh petrol in,if not drain the carbs and refuel,get a can of easy start from Halfords and spray it in the air intake worksed for me on a CG125 that had been stood in a garden for three years

have to agree with Gary that this sounds like a fuel 'feed' prob--take tank off -empty and clean out also the fuel line-- may need carbs resetting/service

sorted! Well nearly, it starts and runs thanks to a bit of fuel! New trouble now, it stayed on when i switched the key off and removed it. I had to stall it to knock it off. Grrr