Plumbing question

Soooo this rubber coupling from the sink waste is leaking. Question is, is it the correct item or is there something better. If its the right thing, how the buggery chops do you get it to push properly in and seal?

20220327_170611.thumb.jpg.a1e6b026acbbf0cd8a28cc2f552a87fc.jpg 

It's just a rubber bung, it's a fairly common thing you may get a one from a plumbers merchant, don't often leak, depending on diameter you can get a solvent weld fitting to go in, is it leaking from outer or inner pipe, have you tried removing cleaning and making sure it's pushed back In fully? 

9 minutes ago, Bender said:

It's just a rubber bung, it's a fairly common thing you may get a one from a plumbers merchant, don't often leak, depending on diameter you can get a solvent weld fitting to go in, is it leaking from outer or inner pipe, have you tried removing cleaning and making sure it's pushed back In fully? 

Yeah cleaned it up but canne get the bugger pushed fully in. It's leaking from the bung where it's not sealing properly. I've got a spare somewhere I think.

6 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Take it out and put a bit of silicone grease on it.

If you don't have that use a bit of washing up liquid.

Yeah tried grease. Will give the old fairy a go. Keeps my hands as soft as my face.

41 minutes ago, goat said:

Yeah tried grease. Will give the old fairy a go. Keeps my hands as soft as my face.

Push bung in fully before pushing in 1 1/2 pipe, shouldn't be that hard? Is it leaking where smaller pipe goes in or is it leaking between bung and 4"   soil pipe 

@goat 

Deleted other just as you no doubt 😂 😁 

Just now, Bender said:

Push bung in fully before pushing in 1 1/2 pipe, shouldn't be that hard? Is it leaking where smaller pipe goes in or is it leaking between bung and 4"   soil pipe 

Leaking between bung and soil. I'll have it a go later in the week. Been like it since we moved in 2 years ago. I've decided to tick a few things off the list 🤣

It's possible the hole is rough where it's been cut out for the bung and it's not allowing the rubber to go back far enough, or it's not cut out fully, also make sure pipe is not too long going into main pipe. 

Best off pulling it out and see what's going on