Registering My Motorcycle **I NEED HELP

Syke8492

Hello, I hope somebody here can help me.

Okay so I have a motorcycle, A Kikker 5150. Its an American import brought in by the guy it purchased it from now it has no documentation at all. According to him it all came in a box and he built then I bought it and I just don't know where to start about getting in on the road. I'm no means a Motorcycle guy, This is my first and dream bike if you will and its time to get it ridden but I just don't know where to start and as you can probably tell i took the easy route for my first bike. haha

I've looked at the Uk GOV DVLA website and i just dont know where to begin.... Do I need a Nova certificate? I have no idea and i just don't want to be wasting my or anybody's time with roads i don't need to take because i'd like it up and running whilst its still summer if possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated because I'm at a loss and overwhelmed really about what i need and where to start with the process. 

On 02/05/2022 at 09:50, exportmanuk said:

Hi, If the guy imported it legally there with be an import entry for it  you need a copy of that to get a NOVA then with the NOVA you can register the bike with the DVLA

All I have is a bill of sale, Nothing else. To my knowledge it didn't enter the country as an entire motorcycle, It came as a kit that the guy assembled so I doubt anything has been paid or documented. 

Sorry to say If you haven't got a Nova certificate you will probably be liable for all import taxes. Once you have sorted that out you can move on to the DVLA and filling out forms to register the bike. They will probably want to inspect it to confirm engine and chassis numbers then if things are all legit issue you with a reg number. Good luck

• Like 1

On their website it says it's got EC type approval.  It might be running worth emailing them for information about your kit.

To get an age related plate it would need information about certain cycle parts. Things like when the frame and engine was made.

Edited by bud
  • Like 1

Thankyou for all the help. Does anybody have an recommendations to how long this process usually takes? Because I want to be on the road ASAP so I depending on how long it takes I might purchase another motorbike in the meantime. 

My mate imported a Yamaha Exup from Germany last summer. By the time it had gone through five months later. The price of road tax had gone up so they sent all the paperwork back, because the cheque was for the wrong amount. 🤨

Especially as it's not a production model, it might be more like next summer. They are probably going to want you to get supportive paperwork to help with your identification.

I believe it you get a plate without a determined year, it would be easier. But ultimately devalue the vehicle.

Edited by bud