First bike advice

Rosfield

Hello, I've had my bike for a few months now bought second hand from a dealership. I've had nothing but problems with it since getting it.

Bolts have come loose and flown out whilst riding (specifically for the rear brake) my odometer keeps resetting itself and originally it was showing 5k miles it reset itself whilst I was riding and now is stuck at 13k miles??? Is this the original mileage. There is limited mot history and only shows one mot recently in 2022 since it was new in 2014.

Does anyone have any advice on why the engine just bogs down when I start it cold, it cuts out after 1-2 seconds and can't idle when first on. has done this since my second ride. I can only get it going by revving and I know this isn't good for the engine.

I'm probably just been an absolute newbie but I don't know where to start looking, I thought about replacing the battery but considered a carburettor clean out?

Tia

Edit: is there also a way to brighten the headlight beams? I can barely see much riding in the dark or are most bikes pretty dire to ride at night

Edited by Rosfield

You really need to say what the bike is, service history and what you have done to resolve the problems you have encountered.

It sounds like it has been badly maintained so I'd begin with a thorough service. 

Reluctant starting using the choke may by basic service issues, eg a dirty plug, but starting some carb bikes in the cold can be a knack. 

Re. the weak headlight. Check the bulb and connections are clean and secure. A poor earth will cause a dim headlight. Or you may need to buy a better bulb. I use a Halfords own brand bulb that is brighter than standard. I've had it for a few years and it's a noticeable improvement over the standard bulb. But don't exceed the amps of the specified bulb or you could be looking at wiring problems.