Advice please - what kind of luggage??

Guest harveybirtch

I would be very grateful for some advice. I have a Honda Hornet 600s and usually carry a large rucksack of stuff on a daily basis to work. I'm thinking of getting some sort of luggage to tie to the bike. It would have to be quite roomy but also be easy and quick to take off the bike and then re-attach. Should I go for panniers / tailpack / tank bags - or just make do with the trusty rucksack???

Advice greatly appreciated.

Stick with the ruck sack. Or get a bigger one just to compensate for more luggage. Getting panniers would be out of the question for a 600 Hornet. Tail bags would work great, as in the ones that hang off the rear side of the bike so you can still take a pillion if you really wanted to. Tank bags have a nasty reputation for scratching the tank so tail bags would be the best bet or one that can stap onto the pillion if you don't intend on taking pillions.

I am basically in the same situation - I commute and carry a backpack every day, which gets old. At one point a while back I got a big tank bag, which holds a lot but I find it uncomfy to commute around town with.

When I was recently on vacation I rented a motorbike which had a rack mounted on the back with a soft bag attached - it was big enough to hold a full face helmet and some other things which was incredibly useful. I want to get something similar for my commute.

Have you considered the Ventura luggage system. I've had it on my last 2 bikes and have been very pleased with it :)

You'll have to Google 'Ventura Bike' as i'm not allowed to post URLs yet :oops:

Loads of options out there!!

As mentioned above, the Ventura system. I had it on my SV1000, very good but pricey.

Hard luggage ?? ie a top box mebbee. Damn convenient if you can live with the lookof the thing.

A tank bag, personally I find useful. Scratched the tank of my first bike quite badly cos the magnets picked up some metal and when i dragged it straight off the tank...Hey Presto !A nice fresh scratch. didn't do that again....Always check tankbag underside before you put it on and peel it off the tank don't drag it.

Tailpacks are good bits of kit too. I personally don't like them but only because I can't see the damn thing and constantly worry the thing has fallen off :P

You used to be able to source tankbags quite cheaply if you keep your eyes peeled to the likes of LIDL etc.. or 2nd hand off flea bay...

I suppose it is whatever suits your needs best....

A tank bag, personally I find useful. Scratched the tank of my first bike quite badly cos the magnets picked up some metal and when i dragged it straight off the tank...Hey Presto !A nice fresh scratch. didn't do that again....Always check tankbag underside before you put it on and peel it off the tank don't drag it.

A good way of avoiding a scratched tank is to use an SW Motech tank ring adapter and attach a Bags Connections tank bag. It works well. Also very useful if you have a plastic tank :)

I've got oxford products soft luggage (panniers, tailpack, and tank bag).

I use the tankbag the most as it is the easiest to fit and remove. It is an expandable version and expands to about 40ltrs so plenty of room. The tank bag is magnetic but can be converted to clip to a non-metallic tank (like on the Triumph D600 for example). It is possible to scratch the tank unless care is taken to dust off the tank and bottom of the tank bag before fitting. Bits of grit and metal can get stuck to the base of the tank bag but brushing the base clean before fitting should stop any scratching.

The panniers take a bit of faffing about to fit and remove as they secure under the seat with straps and then lots of ties and bungies to keep them stable.

The tailpack is strapped to the seat also and has bungies to keep stable but this atleast does zip apart from the base and so isn't such a chore to remove.

I used to always use a rucksack but it restricts you on the bike, can be uncomfortable on long journeys, and I was always concerned about what might happen if I were to part company with the bike at some point.

I have a jacket with big pockets.... :D

if you turn your shreddies inside out they last 2 days.... :shock:

Buy very cheap socks and throw them away after wearing..... :wink:

On a serious note...... :|

I have Givi Hard luggage which is excellent but only put it on when absolutely neckofcelery....

:bike2: :thumb: :beer2: :cheers: :wave:

I really appreciate all the replies and excellent advice. I have now ordered an "Oxford Humpback TailBag/Tailpack-1 Bag 3 Options" - it seems the easiest to get on and off the bike. :D

my gf has a hornet,and as you know the seat is quite awkward to get off,so im wondering if a tail pack is the best option,i would either go for a top box or a tank bag,aint had any problems with scratching has i always put webbing underneath it :wink:

Although Ive got givi soft luggage panniers I still reckon tying your rucksack to the pillion is the fastest easiest option, two bungees n a cargo net do the job fine, your free to move around then. Plus its a damn site easier to take off than the panniers which i only use on long weekends as they take too long otherwise.