First timer about to clean carbs!

Pete

I've decided to fill a day or two with giving my carbs a full on proper clean up on my Suzuki GSX600F - it should be a laugh. I've never attempted it before and the best I've done in the past is run some Redex through the tank, but as the bike's 10 years old and has covered just over 32,000 I thought I'd give it a good going over.

I've got my trusty Haynes manual at hand, but before I begin (carefully) ripping things out I wanted to know if anyone has any hints or tips that could help me avoid any hold ups along the way. I understand that some of the seals/O-rings may need replacing and have been onto my local Suzuki dealer about getting hold of (everything times 4):

- Float chamber rubber seal

- Jet needle O-ring

- Float needle valve seat O-ring

The thing is that I don't even know if I need them or not, that's just what Haynes says might need replacing. What're everyone's thoughts and experiences before I make a start on this one?

I've decided to fill a day or two with giving my carbs a full on proper clean up on my Suzuki GSX600F - it should be a laugh. I've never attempted it before and the best I've done in the past is run some Redex through the tank, but as the bike's 10 years old and has covered just over 32,000 I thought I'd give it a good going over.

I've got my trusty Haynes manual at hand, but before I begin (carefully) ripping things out I wanted to know if anyone has any hints or tips that could help me avoid any hold ups along the way. I understand that some of the seals/O-rings may need replacing and have been onto my local Suzuki dealer about getting hold of (everything times 4):

- Jet needle O-ring

- Float needle valve seat O-ring

The thing is that I don't even know if I need them or not, that's just what Haynes says might need replacing. What're everyone's thoughts and experiences before I make a start on this one?

If your dealers local, see if he has them in stock, then you can get what you need.

also if you are taking them apart, do one at a time or have 4 containers so you dont get mixed up.. and take pictures along the way, what went where.

if they are going to be bathed to loosen any gum/varnish then you can go out and get your seals etc.

never done the job myself, but this is what i'd look at to start with.

you might want to look at CMSNL.com as they have exploded diagrams with parts/numbers, so might make it easier of what goes where..

Cheers Frankie, that site's a bit of a gem!!

Good idea about doing them one by one. I haven't looked inside them at all yet so I don't know what condition they're going to be in so I'm planning on having to replace all relevant parts and soak all metal bits in something just to play it safe.

Also, don't do what i did and bathe the bits in a plastic container as the plastic will just melt.

Just get stuck in and be extra careful, I used a whiteboard to jot down the order of everything i pulled off (like vacuum pipes etc)

Hope your float boal screws aren't stuck on like mine were!

Also, don't do what i did and bathe the bits in a plastic container as the plastic will just melt.

Just get stuck in and be extra careful, I used a whiteboard to jot down the order of everything i pulled off (like vacuum pipes etc)

Hope your float boal screws aren't stuck on like mine were!

I believe a diesel bath works well (big oven tray, metal pan), or better still ultrasonics (the little box thingy that tattoists use, the sonic waves make all the c*** fall off.

NB Diesel will kill rubber, so don't put any o-rings, plastics in to clean just metal, a mate did my front calipers this way, i replaced the rubber and rebuilt them

I wash things out in ice cream tubs. People will warn that they'll dissolve in solvents but i've had carb cleaner, petrol, paraffin, all sorts in them and they've never melted.

yup exactly what i used, and about 3 mins later realised my float bowl / float were stuck to the tub, took them out, lifted the tub up and the bottom fell out!

tesco's own brand icecream tubs eh - who'd av em :D