Doesnt work

Rigger

Riding home from a friends last night, about a 10/15 mile ride. Just cruising around 40mph, and it just decides to cut out. No pop, no snap, no crackle, nothing. Was as if it had been turned off. Then it wouldnt start! I had a new piston and barrel kit installed about 3 weeks ago, was told to keep under 40 for the first 500 miles which i gladly did. Gone about 700/800 miles now so i resumed going above 40 were necessary/safe to do so. Just weird the way it cut out and wouldnt start. Ended up pushing it home and stopped by police twice. Ive had enough problems so if its something big, its getting broke and sold for spares. If its something small ill have a go myself, and if i can fix it, ill keep it. If not, again, getting broke for spares

Someone please tell me its something small, i dont want to have to see my baby go away after all ive put into it! :(

Edited by Rigger

I'm not a mechanic but in my opinion and experience, if theres a spark getting to it and the engine is turning then it suggests a fuel starvation problem. I dont know the bike at all im afraid. If its carb it will have a choke, i its fuel injected it won't. If it is a carb then there should be a drain valve at the bottom of it, turn off the fuel feed(should be under the fuel tank) then drain the carb bowl, when its empty open the valve back up and it should start flowing through again, if it doesnt then the fuel isnt getting that far. Its just a process of elimination

Yes it turns over, it speeds up at times an just seems like its waiting to kick in but just doesnt!
The engine has actually seized :( Must have a dodgy wire as me oil light never lit up but normally does! Does it have to be replaced or can i lube it up and just refit?

I'm confused. If it turns over, then surely it cannot be seized.

No you can't just lube it and put it back together..

It could be your oil light hasn't lit, as it has oil, but the oil pump has failed.

As youve got the head off, so if your competent/confident, then stuff a rag in below the piston, remove the piston and send the piston and barrel off to be re-bored and new piston supplied, Haynes manual will give you the full in and outs..

yellow pages should help you find an engineering firm for boring the barrel..

but i would check that you have oil and if so, sort out the pump, could be the filters blocked, or the pump needs replacing.. otherwise you'll be back there again.

BOGOF, if it seized when hot, then freed itself when cold it would still try and crank..

BOGOF, if it seized when hot, then freed itself when cold it would still try and crank..

Thanks. Realised that but got confused cos he said it HAS seized, which I took to mean that it still IS seized.

My brain works too literally sometimes :P

Any idea of a price range then? I dont want to fork out another £100 or so for it, ive spent far too much on it already an i think its time for it to go.

£70 for parts..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-SPEEDFIGH ... 7C294%3A50

then labour, or your time..

if you fix it you'll get more when you come to sell it rather than selling it as a non-runner/project.