Picked up a nail after only 24 hours of riding :( Advice?

Guest JamesExcell

Hi guys

Basically, I passed my CBT on Sunday and got my 1991 Honda NS125r insured that afternoon. I've spent lots of time riding around, getting a feel for the bike and so on. Coming home last night at about 10pm, I noticed a sudden lack of grip and a lot of wobble from the rear. After pulling over I discovered that the tyre was completely flat. As I was only a mile away from home and riding through my very quiet town I decided to risk it and slowly limp it home.

So the situation is this:

- there's a small nail or some form of spike (it doesn't appear to have a head on it) in my tyre, causing a quick deflating puncture

- I dont own a tyre repair kit on any form or a stand to allow me to be removing the rear wheel

- Unless one of the many car garages in my town happen do bikes, the nearest garage is a good 20 minutes away

What should I do?!!

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm in Woodbridge, Suffolk by the way.

Edited by Anonymous

Hey mate,

Bad stinking luck that is.

As I see it, if the wheel won't stay inflated long enough to get anywhere, your two options are:

* Take the wheel off and take it to a garage.

* Find a garage who'll collect your bike (for a fee)

As you say you don't have a centre stand or anything, unless you can find some way of bodging a stand with bricks and wood, i'd get in the Yellow Pages and Google and start looking for someone to collect it from you.

If you post your location, there might be someone on here nearby who can give you some local knowledge advice.

Good luck!

//ian

I don't own one so I can't vouch for any particular make/brand or whatever but a quick look on eBay (http://tinyurl.com/yfum2us) shows some for around £30 or £40.

Like I said before, if you put your location in your profile or just let us know where you are, there ~*might* be someone off of here that is local to you and can help out!

//ian

If you want to get your back wheel off and you can ony do it the pikiey way then this is your best option tried and tested lol

get a car jack comething like a 2 ton jack truck, jack the rear swing arm up so the bike clears the ground and then you can do either 1 or two thing get a plank of wood and some breasblocks or something like thatm. Then put the wood across the bottom of the rear swing arm and brick it up. Or you could buy a paddock stand they are normally about 20 quid plus p&p off ebay.

The choice is upto you, if you have a spare 100 quid knocking around invest in a abba supersports stand the amount of time i have saved not messing around like this.

Here's a centre stand for an NS125 at £38.50 inc. shipping.

I have no idea if it will fit yours or whatever (the part number is there, maybe give a Honda garage a call if you don't know either) but thought I'd pass it on in case it helps you out.

[Edit] Didn't post the link, what a tw*t.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/new-HONDA-o-e-Cen ... _822wt_847

//ian

Edited by Anonymous

You can pick up a rear paddock stand for around £20... check out ebay... even amazon sell them from £20... :)

Or what about that stuff you can buy what you put into the tyre, like foam stuff thats supposed to seal a small hole long enuf to travel a few miles to get it repaired..

Or a mate with trailer or van?

Im in the same situation as you at the moment, got a screw in my rear tyre. What im going to do is buy a puncture repair kit (Cargol i think it's called) fix it like that and then ride it to the tyre shop to get it changes as it needed doing anyway.

After speaking to the closest bike tyre place to me I think I'm going to:

- invest in a stand for £30ish

- get the back tyre off

- take it to the tyre place, get it repaired and use it until my next payday

- take my bike for a full service at the local Honda garage and have a new tyre put on as part of it

Thanks for all your help guys!

oooooooooo cheers darling :)

I aint paying that much to read something will get my mate to find it me or free :D

this happened to me got a screw stuck in the back of a gixxa 750srad tyre brand new dunlop sportsmax 125quid tyre at the time. was not happy as i had to buy a new one :evil: