Bike not firing properly

wannars125

Can anyone help I'm only learning at the moment so please be patient with me!

Bike is a Bandit 650.

Tuesday morning turned bike on, warmed up for about 5mins, rode about 2 miles, slowed down to about 30 from 50 and heard popping from engine. Came to a stop and the engine cut. Managed to get it going and back home. Bike was idling at about 500rpm when it normally is at 1300rpm. Sounded a little quiet so thought it wasn't firing properly.

I've changed all spark plugs. Still not working.

Checked all plugs and they are sparking.

Funny bit was that when replacing the plugs, out of the old ones (1 being left hand side 4 being right hand) plugs 1 and 4 were filthy but 2 and 3 were pretty clean in comparison. Not sure if this is indicative of something.

*edit* There is a strong smell of petrol so I'm assuming that at least one cylinder is still not firing properly.

*edit2* When testing to see if there was spark, when number 1 was disconnected to test, the engine sounded a lot better.

Any ideas much appreciated :)

Edited by wannars125

what he means is are the plugs not firing and are they wet when you take them out

a mate of mine had problems the other day bike wouldnt start

removed the plugs checked for spark and it was really weak and the plugs where fouled

heated them up with a lighter to dry them up a good wire brush popped them back in and it started first turn and runs sweat as a nut again 8-)

Rightie, update for the afternoon. Checked the air filter which was quite dirty. Also found fuel in the air filter box. Cleaned fuel out of air filter box and fuel was found in the air intake hole into the part of the carb that supplies chamber 2. Turned over engine momentarily without air filter and sounded fine. Replaced air filter and engine now sounds like it is running smoothly.

Down side.

Left running for a few minutes on the drive and there is a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Oil levels are normal. The Haynes manual is suggesting things like piston rings, knackered cylinders, valve guide, head gasketand abnormal crankcase pressurisation.

Does anyone have any other ideas that aren't so much of a pain to fix?!?

as its the 650, is it watercooled...? check the coolant and the oil for contamination by the other, if you have a bust head, water will get in the oil, and vice versa..

have you had the bike out in the rain, or has water got in the exhaust, this will give steamy smoke (white)

are you running redex, this will give white smoke if its not right..

if the oil and water are fine, and the bike sounds like it should, you could leave it running to see if the smoke clears after a short run..

Evening update:

Took the bike out for a spin. The smoke may well have been vapour as there is nothing now. The bike is more responsive than I've felt in a long time!

There still seems to be a small vibration but that small that I'm questioning whether it was there before or not. Gonna clean and lube up and readjust the chain as I think that needs doing and could be causing that feeling and fingers crossed, that will be that!

Its been an interesting weekend!