Private Roads to practice on, Berkshire way

Guest kirsty

Hi

Does anyone know of any private roads that make good places to practice riding? I've got my Mod 1 having spent many hours at the Maidenhead Rugby Club/Braywick Park car park practicing. There are a few little roads there too that I can practice on, but on a 600 I hardly get out out of first gear. I've also been over to Dorney Lake which has a lovely 3k road, beautiful tarmac and large, open bends. It's good for going up and down through the gear box, but I'd like to be able to do a few maneuvers.

Any disused airfileds or anything that anybody know of?

Have husband (with licence) so will travel.

I will be paying for a 'proper' lesson, but want to cover more miles than my piggy-bank can really afford.

Thanks

K

Supermarket car parks are great for practicing maneuvers on. The best way to practice u-turns (I think) is to try and do a big wide one in 3 car park spaces, then 2 and a half, then get it into 2 spaces (should be able to do that OK) then keep it at 2 until you feel confident to get it near enough to full lock as often as possible. Depending on the bike you'll be able to get it pretty tight with a few hours practice...don't do too many though or you'll feel sick! Make sure you go after it's closed though so it's nice and open. When my brother was learning to drive a car he went to Morrison's with my dad and the police showed up! They thought they were joy riders, but after realising they weren't they just left and said to carry on :D

It sounds to me like you've covered all the bases - you've got your long sweeping road place and supermarkets to do maneuvers on. But you'd like somewhere that you can do both at? I can't think of anywhere, sorry :(!

Supermarket car parks are great for practicing maneuvers on.

Sorry, but that would actually be illegal unless you are fully licenced, taxed and insured.

The Road Traffic Act still has jurisdiction on private property to which the public have free access. For the purposes of the RTA it is still a highway and normal traffic laws apply.

I found this out when pulled up for using a mobile as I drove into our school car park (at the end of a very long private drive). I did check the legislation at the time and found this to be accurate. I will find you a reference if you wish.

I thought that you needed to get permission from the land owner for carparks etc. otherwise it was classified as public highway?

Either way, it will need to be properly off road before you can practice, because no supermarket manager will agree.