Giving the nod - do you?

Anton17

<t>Do you give the nod to other bikers?</t>  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give the nod to other bikers?

• Yes
    • No

When I first got on the road I quickly noticed other bikers giving the nod to acknowledge you. I thought it was a great little community gesture and have done it ever since, but have noticed some either don't respond or look at you with vague puzzlement and anger. :mrgreen:

So, do you?

On the way to my mod 2 test last week I must have passed 2 or 3 bikers and sort of gave a subtle nod but no response, however on the way back (after I passed may I add :D ) all the bikers I went past nodded, even though I still had my L plates on...it's like they somehow knew! :D

It's a rather one sided poll so far. :lol:

I prefer to wave or salute but that's probably because I'm a bit weird.

Your robotic tilt of the head when you do nod is more than a bit weird... But indisputably awesome :lol:

I do to everything apart from scooter riders, pizza boys and people who choose not to wear any protective clothing apart from a helmet.

I nod to everything motorised on 2 wheels, including scoots and peds.

I also nod to car drivers who have been courteous and have acknowledged my presence by giving way to me or whatever. Hopefully it makes them smile and makes them more biker friendly in future. Every little helps 8-)

I nod to everything on 2 wheels.. sometimes i ignore chavs and people riding on the silly side (ie no protective clothing). The idea of nodding is great, keeps the 2 wheel community together :D

+1 and i always let anyone on a bike behind me past so not to hold them up and then try and watch how they ride, trouble is within a few hundred meters there gone.

Will get the hand of those twisty rounds at some point.

Rob.

People I will nod at:

Similar type bikes/riders,

Pretty girls (usually accompanied by a salute and/or toot of the horn).

People I don't nod at:

All L plates - although do nod at some on geared bikes that look as if they're taking it seriously,

Power rangers - simply because I have never had a good response from them, they all think they're f**king Rossi, only come out to play in the Sun and can't ride properly,

Hell's Angels types - just in case I get my head blown off on the motorway,

Police bikers - never had a nod back so can't be bothered to waste my time.

Idiots on motorway - either filtering like a prick at 40mph+ or tailgating me when I am filtering.

However I will return any nod I get, even if I don't initiate it... apart from scooters.

I'm with wannars125 with the London thing, it just doesn't happen so I don't even bother! Everywhere else I tend to though. Not so much as I used to because a lot of people don't nod back so I've started to not. I'll nod if someone does at me first though.

I've noticed police riders don't nod. I wonder what that's down to. Could it be because they'd be showing favoritism towards bikers when they should be non-bias, or is it because of the idea that if you're nodding at another biker then you're not concentrating on the road ahead? I dunno :roll:

Yeah another nodding thread ;-)

Yes I do (apart from scooters as they never nod back, though I would return the nod)

I get a 50-50 response. Only really ever the sports bikes that pretty much always nod back. Go pas a group of bikers out and I am like Churchill's nodding dog!

I found it funny that in another thread on the same issue somebody said 'why should I?' - I felt like saying in my most sarcastic typing voice 'no reason to - I don't even answer people when they say hello to me! I have soooo many friends'.

I always do although as I'm a newbe on L's I usually wait for the nod of others before replying. A small percentage don't and I've always put that down to the L's. Saying that South Wales is a pretty friendly place and I'd nod to farmer on a combine harvester, it's just the way I am.

Saying that I refuse point blank to nod to anyone in a white shellsuit and daps, regardless of what they're on :lol:

I had a nice experience last week where a guy on a big Hornet stopped filtering by the side of me and said he liked my bike and asked how I found it! My already wide smile (from just riding) grew even wider!

not this again :bang:

Sorry, I didn't know this thread had been done before - I did do a search! Hope it hasn't peeved anyone, was just curious since it's like how if you're walking your dog and see another dog owner, they tend to smile or stop and chat, and thought it was a nice little reminder than people do still stick together for whatever similarities.

Yep - I nod. Sometimes some riders don't nod back, but they are usually the ones sat bolt upright n staring dead ahead, just wantin to get home.

Love it when I get a nod back tho. =)

not this again :bang:

Sorry, I didn't know this thread had been done before - I did do a search! Hope it hasn't peeved anyone, was just curious since it's like how if you're walking your dog and see another dog owner, they tend to smile or stop and chat, and thought it was a nice little reminder than people do still stick together for whatever similarities.

I don't mind, but then again, if I did, I wouldn't read it! ;-)

Well, I only passed my mod2 last Friday, and since then I've seen half a dozen assorted bikes, nodded to them all, and got a reply from each one. Most of them nodded, one waved, and one stuck his leg out. Made me smile, but then again, I've been smiling constantly for the past 4 days anyway.