Bike won't start...

Guest snorty

Hello there, was hoping somebody could help me out with a bike problem of mine...

I bought a Honda CB125TDE Superdream (yes it's old!) two months back, when I went to view the bike, the battery was flat, but he used his new bike's battery just to show the bike started. So I bought the bike.

I tested it a few times by bump-starting it, and rode it around a little. Eventually, after having had it standing a couple of weeks, I got hold of a new battery for it, and when I put it in, I tried the electric start, and the bike shakes a little, while making an electronic noise, but the bike won't actually start.

I checked for a spark on the spark plugs, and there is a spark. I also tried bump starting the bike, and it won't even start like that anymore! There's definitely fuel in the tank I just put some in, so I am lost as to what is wrong, I am a newbie to bikes, though... So any help would be appreciated, cheers.

P.S. There is a cable (much like a brake cable) joined onto the carburettor, but it is really slack, I don't know if that could be the problem.

is the choke cable intact, The green one.. use a little choke to aid starting, how longs it been laid up, could have gummed carb, fire some carb cleaner in there,..

also worth a shot, get hold of some easi-start,. but be careful the engine develops an addiction if used to frequently... instructions on the can...

and your plugs not connected so you aint gonna get anywhere...

Haha, I know, the spark plug was disconnected at that point for some reason...

Ah! so the green thing is the choke... makes sense, then. I've tried using the choke as well. Where would I get "easi start" or some carb cleaner from? Anywhere online? I just did a google on easi start but nothing came up. Thanks.

Haha, I know, the spark plug was disconnected at that point for some reason...

Ah! so the green thing is the choke... makes sense, then. I've tried using the choke as well. Where would I get "easi start" or some carb cleaner from? Anywhere online? I just did a google on easi start but nothing came up. Thanks.

halfords, motorworld...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165750

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165750

check the choke cable if its broken/snapped internally, it wont work, operate the lever and you should feel the sleeve become taught... (black bit...) if you can see a bracket that it moves, look to see that it operates with the lever..

Ended up taking it to a mechanic, they got it started for me... it runs now, but apparently the clutch is worn, and the cylinder is smoking or something...? Lol. I think it's f**ked. Should pass an MOT they said, (the garage that repaired it do MOTs too). What kind of problems are a worn camshaft/clutch going to cause?

Also, thanks for the advice so far, guys.

dont listen to the mechanic. They often take kids like you to the cleaners. Better to meet up with someone off here who knows a thing or two. Smoking cylinder would refer to piston ring wear. Is the bike losing engine oil ? If not then ignore. Does the bike rev like hell when you open the throttle setting off but not actually in anywhere ? Worn clutch. If not, its ok. A loud tapping or clicking that increases with engine speed would indicate worn cam shafts

• 2 weeks later...

Got an updated problem! Hope you guys don't mind me asking for some more advice...

So I got it working and MOTed... been riding it for about a week, about two days ago, I noticed the bike didn't have as much acceleration power in first gear... then this morning, I went to start it, and it wouldn't start first time, took a few tries, I revved it and it seemed fine, but when I went to actually let the clutch out, there was next to nothing there. I rode to work which is roughly flat and small uphills, albeit at 15mph and below... (on full throttle). Eventually I got to a road that was just too steep, and I had to push it up...

So I guess my question is... any ideas?

Help much appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like a worn clutch to me mate. If the friction material on the clutch plates has worn dramatically then they'll just slip and in turn there'll be no power getting through to the back wheel.

You can check them yourself if you're up for a laugh. If you've got a Haynes manual for your bike just follow that. One tip the Frankie gave me a while back when I checked my clutch plates and didn't want to drain the oil (this might not work on your bike, depends what side the clutch is on...has to be the right side, not left) was to put it on the side stand. Doing that makes the oil go to the other side of the bike and only a tiny girly dribble came out.

Failing that, just get it to a mechanic and ask them to check the clutch.

Sounds like a worn clutch to me mate. If the friction material on the clutch plates has worn dramatically then they'll just slip and in turn there'll be no power getting through to the back wheel.

Failing that, just get it to a mechanic and ask them to check the clutch.

:stupid:

I don't think it's the clutch plate, the revs don't seem to be going high enough for that, I had it on full throttle doing 15mph, but it was only at 6,000 rpm (the red zone starts at 13,000).

I had a look at the bike today, and I've just noticed that when I turn the fuel on, fuel is leaking out of one of the carburetors... I can't imagine why! Any ideas guys?

Cheers :)

I don't think it's the clutch plate, the revs don't seem to be going high enough for that, I had it on full throttle doing 15mph, but it was only at 6,000 rpm (the red zone starts at 13,000).

I had a look at the bike today, and I've just noticed that when I turn the fuel on, fuel is leaking out of one of the carburetors... I can't imagine why! Any ideas guys?

Cheers :)

Never mind that... the float valve wasn't in properly in one of the carbs. Fixed the leaking problem, then I got it running, starting up again, when the clutch was in, it would rev as high as it can, but when I let the clutch out, there was just nothing there, like when you start in the wrong gear. I just stood it outside while at work, then I went to bring it in as it got dark, so just for chance... I decided to try drive it, and it went like it should do! As fast as it should...

So I drove it around, down the road, got to 40mph or something. Then I pulled in a car park to turn around and come back... and it was back to the usual, not getting faster than 15mph and feeling like I've just set off in 3rd...

Again, any ideas appreciated.

were you in the wrong gear? pulling away in 3rd instaed of 1st..

sounds like a sticking clutch, as it heats up its sticking, hence why after leaving it , it was fine, then came back after a short ride, the temp decreases freeing it up, and increases causing it to sapp power from the engine..

i would think about a mechanic to investigate.. unless your handy with the spanners..

oh and some bikes can have a clutch change without dropping the oil.. if the bike leans to the opposite side, the oil will pool away from the clutch..

have a read through a manual to see whats involved, but really, i'd take to to a garage, as they'll know what to look for...

Don't ride in 3rd gear! :booty:

Har har :P.

As it happens... someone who knew a little about bikes happened to come into my work today, he had a look at it, the spark plugs were BLACK, and stank of petrol. Cleaned them up, and adjusted these screws on the carbs, which I believe were air/fuel mixture adjusters. After screwing them fully in, the bike seemed to have the original "power" (I say this, about a 125 :P) back. However, as it's wet, I managed to drop it haha what an idiot. Luckily it was just in the car park. Got a little crack in the exhaust now. Thanks anyway guys!