CBT on Saturday woop woop!

Guest ribena

Got my CBT booked, with Rugby Rider Training School. Any experiences of them in particular?

Currently frantically scouring the internet for some size 12 boots in the leamington spa/warwick/coventry/rugby area,

Im borrowing all my m8s gear, helmet fits perfect, nice and tight all over, without being uncomfortable, jacket and trousers good, and nice proper gloves to keep me warm in November.

Only problem is his boots are size 9, and im an 11/12 so no go there, and I really don't want to ride without adequate protection, just seems silly to me!

Any advice for finding some boots quickly, or anybody in the area got a pair I can borrow for the day?

I want to try out biking with the CBT to see if i like it, if i do then I'll go the full hog and get all the kit.

Then do people reccomend getting a 125 and learning for a bit, then progressing to do full test, or just bash it out in a direct access? I've been driving for 4 years, and mountainbiking a while, so I understand bike dynamics fairly well. Self preservation *i think* is quite good as I have cycled 10 miles to work and back on busy roads a fair few times.

As im a big lad, and would like to travel on motorways occasionally, I would prefer to get a 500/600 from the off, because as I understand it it would be much more stable, and feel like a proper bike.

Budget relatively small though, so would definitely be going down the 2nd hand route.

Ramble ramble ramble, etc etc, il cut this short now, before I piss people off and get no responses!

Cheers all, everything on the forum has been very informative so far!

good luck, i passed my test this year in August, The best feeling :D

took my test on a 500 and yes i felt more stable on a 500 than a 125.

You have to see how you feel.

After my CBT my instructor let me have a ride round the car park on a 500. That was my decider of what i wanted to do.

Safe riding

Well done on getting it booked. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

As for doing the DAS straight away, I'd say see how you feel after the CBT. If you enjoyed it and felt comfortable, ask the training centre if they'll allow you to try on a 500. If they do allow, give it a go. I wish I'd just gone straight in now rather than getting the 125 and wasting money on it. As I say though, it depends on how confident you are. If you feel that you could use some time getting used to being on 2 wheels, stick to the 125 for the moment.

cheers for all the advice, I will let you know how I get on tomorrow! Keep all the good work uyp on the forum, Im sure there are less vocal visitors like myself who find it very useful!

go straight for your big bike,mod1,mod2,you get 2 years on cbt,then you will have to do it again,and pay again,u might as well do it now itll save you outlay in the long run with price rises,alterations to tests etc etc,then u can still ride a 125 if ya want :cheers:

Fan bloody tastic day today. Was a little bit ropey to start off with, felt like the throttle was the wrong was round, I was revving it when pulling up to junctions etc, and then not when I pulled away. Same for gear lever, for some reason my natural instinct was push it down to go faster, but it just made it noisy! lol.

Rugby Rider Training in Coventry, well reccomended! Very helpful chaps, I wasn't quite up for going out on the road, so they were patient and let me take my time making sure I felt comfortable.

I even managed to lock up the rear wheel ever so slightly on an emergency stop, but I let off and reapplied smoothly, didn't panick cos I'm used to it on my push bike.

Only problem I found was my road positioning was slightly off, and i kept forgetting to cancel indicators, comes with being a car driver I spose...

I've pretty much decided I'll go for a couple more lessons on a 125, then get on and do my test, then my first bike will be a 500. The 125 just felt a little bit flimsy under me, and under acceleration a little bit choked.

All in all, really good day, couldn't reccomend it enough.

Cheers all

Hi Ribena

Well done! - I did my CBT at Rugby Riders and they are a great bunch. Patient and experienced. I did 125 then tests and now have restricted access licence (A2). I would just see how you feel re a bigger bike - RR may suggest the DAS but be aware you cannot practice or ride to your test legally on anything bigger than a 125 unless you have an instructor on radio contact with you. This makes the DAS an expensive option.

I had a Honda varadero 125cc for 9 months which is a full size V twin (looks like a 600) this helps you get used to big bike feel and gives you better road presence. I used it to commute every day with L plates and this helped me gain confidence and knowlege.

After I passed I got a Honda Hornet 600s restricted to 33bhp which I can ride on my A2 license for 2 years and will help me build up experience on a big bike without the temptation of mad power before I am ready. It's plenty fast enough for me after a 125 - so remember you have options other than DAS just think about your budget and stay safe! Also, Mod 1 in Leicester is fine but I would think about doing your Mod 2 in Banbury unless you know Leicester really well - much quieter, fewer speed limit changes and a laid back and friendly examiner.

bathtub

cheers for the advice there.

I've got really mixed feelings about what to do next now. Not sure about getting a 125 to practise on, then moving on when ready, or going str8 thru on DAS. Vadavero does seem like a good option, especially as im over 6 foot and would like something comfortable.

First thing is getting theory out the way sometime soon, and I also have a 2 hour 1-2-1 session just before xmas with RR just to refresh myself and try to improve my safety. Also paid for by my employer, which is nice!

How is the DAS any different to taking your Mod1 and Mod2 yourself, or is it just whether you are over 21 or not?

Cheers all,