how hard is it to rebuild a bike?

wupwup

hi, im hopeing to get a cg or ybr for a first bike in about 6 months. i know its ages away but i was thinking. how hard is it to rebuild one? instead of getting a new/ working one for £1000+ i could get a realy old one that needs some tlc and spend those 6 moths fixing it instead of twiddling my thumbs wishing i had a bike. i know a fair bit bout push bikes (dont supose theres much similarity but its a start) and im quite mechanicaly minded. and i have a m8 that works in a garage if teh worst comes to the worst but hes not great. wouldnt let him near a new bike thats for sure. dose this sound like a good idea or the begining of an expensive mistake? thanks

hi, im hopeing to get a cg or ybr for a first bike in about 6 months. i know its ages away but i was thinking. how hard is it to rebuild one? instead of getting a new/ working one for £1000+ i could get a realy old one that needs some tlc and spend those 6 moths fixing it instead of twiddling my thumbs wishing i had a bike. i know a fair bit bout push bikes (dont supose theres much similarity but its a start) and im quite mechanicaly minded. and i have a m8 that works in a garage if teh worst comes to the worst but hes not great. wouldnt let him near a new bike thats for sure. dose this sound like a good idea or the begining of an expensive mistake? thanks

You would be able to get an old CG for 500 or so, most probably in working order too....

You'll probably be harder pressed to find such a cheap YBR though, as they are a newer bike...

CGs are bullet proof, if it ant working its probably because something serious has happened to it!

if you got something thats got a running engine and needs some work for an MOT, that would be your easiest bet, otherwise your looking at engine work, sourcing lots of parts, or a basket case, (complete assembly, most parts there, but you'd need to figure which bolt fits where..)

i have had a few fixer/uppers, and the only thing to consider is how much you buy it for, too much and you've lost money before you start, but if you can get one cheap the n youre onto a winner, if only for the mechanical experience..

try spares or repair in ebay, (local)

Single cylinder 125 like the CG is a very straight forward machine with spares readily available. An old one will have had lots of different learner owners , so may have surprises in store apart from the usual wear and tear.

You'll need tools and a place to work on it. So budget accordingly. Being skint and ambitious is a good teacher. 8-)

Single cylinder 125 like the CG is a very straight forward machine with spares readily available. An old one will have had lots of different learner owners , so may have surprises in store apart from the usual wear and tear.

You'll need tools and a place to work on it. So budget accordingly. Being skint and ambitious is a good teacher. 8-)

haha so true. and your right. ill have to watch out i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I thought i would just tune in and say i have a 125 4stroke which has a CG copy engine.

When it comes to maintinence its not usually i big issue, i love to tinker myself and i am jst working on changing my head gasket. If your mechanically orientated it just takes time and pick up a haynes manual and bobs your unkle :)

Dont let it scare you to much, there is lots of resources online and if your friend is half handy it shouldnt be a problem :)

if you decide to take this route and have any issues feel free to give me a shout :D

-Jvr