Suspension 'Movement' and Braking Noise

softwarez

Hi,

I recently noticed my bike was making odd noises when I was coming to a stop while braking. It feels like it is grinding and I can feel it throug the brake lever, I think it may just be the pads becoming worn down (as they are very worn and need replacing soon) would this should about right?

Also, due to the noise it made my more prone to looking at things on the bike, and as I was riding I noticed when I turn the handle bars that the suspension moves slightly at the top end. i.e. the top of the suspension that you can see through the yoke (i think its called that) I can see it move sightly in there when I full lock etc.. The gaps become bigger/smaller at either side. Is this normal? if not, what the hell could cause it? I checked the pinch bolts and they seem tight..

Thank you! :)

1st has the bike been standing the grinding could be the layer of rust being removed, but if the pads are down, they need changing and would give a grinding noise too,

the suspension (forks) are moving when lock to lock, check the yolk top nut sounds like the yolks are loose, get someone to stand over the wheel locking it between there legs, and turn the bars, if they move then the yolk nut is undone.. (like on a bicycle when straightening the wheel..)

ohh, theres is a nut under the one you see, so remove the top one tighten the other then refit the top one.

bothe need attention before you take it out again..

Edited by Anonymous

Just had another proper look and it is defiantly the brake pads causing the grinding.. I have ordered a replacement.

I will go and check the suspension now, with the advice you gave.

Thanks for the replies!

also check that the wheel spindle is nice and tight, it has been the case that people have done up the spindle and then the bolts that hold the spindle,but the spindle wasn't fully home (tight enough)..