ZZR 600 Bar end removal

Murray

Hi all

I have tried to remove the bar ends on my ZZR600 to fit heated grips but I cannot get the screw undone holding the bar end onto the bar.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have tried brute force with a big screwdriver but I have begun to round the screw head off.

Will I have to resort to heat and a hacksaw?

Might pay you to give it a firm thud with a mallet first. Sounds like it has seized inside. A thud should, in theory, break that seizure ... And I mean, screwdriver/allen key in bar end, and wallop ....!!!

OR

Try tightening it first, that may also break it free ....

I tried the impact driver but no luck, I had to resort to grinding the heads off the screws to get the bar ends off.

Now I have fitted the heated grips the bloody throttle is not returning and shutting off.

Think I need to strip it all down again and see what I have done wrong.

Luckily I have not glued the grips on.

Any ideas why the throttle will not return?

Having thought about it overnight I think the problem could be down to the glue used on the grips.

I did the trial run and all was ok, once I put the glue on my throttle problem started,I have now removed the throttle grip and even without the grip on the throttle is sticking, I think some glue has worked itself up between the plastic throttle tube and the bar so I will have to have a look and clean it out.

Thanks for the help.

I will keep you posted if Im successful.

didn't use glue with mine, warmed the grips in hot water and sprayed some WD40 on the bars, then a big rubber mallet for the last inch or so..(and a large socket to get past the end), works a treat..

Yeah it does sound confusing,ha ha.

I initially fitted the grips as a trial run, then everything was fine, I then glued them on and the trouble began.

I then took the grips off again and the problem is still there.

Had to order new bar ends from Kawasaki along with retaining screws, now I wished I had just kept cold fingers.

What a bloody faffing about little job.

Turned out the glue I put on had worked its way inside the plactic sleeve for the throttle and was causing the sticking.

I have fitted the grips now without glue and they seem to be holding tight, the throttle grip clicks into place and t'other one is well tight.

So for now all is well,just the bar ends to refit, once they arrive and Im out again.

Thanks for the assistance guys.