Removing batery for winter

aaaa

Hello,

By bike is in the garage for the cold months. Stopped riding at the end November and probably won't ride it again till at least March I would think- I am not as hardcore as some of you people it appears. I do go out and start my bike from time to time but someone has advised me to remove the battery and bring it inside else it will freeze and become useless.

I was somewhat dubious, think of all the cars and bikes that sit outside in the elements all winter, but then again I don't want to ruin the battery if there is any truth to it. This is the first winter I've owned a bike so not had to consider this before.

What does everyone else think

Moved into pitstop for you :thumb:

There is merit to this. Some people do, some people don't. Personally I never have, without issue.

But my bikes have always been garaged and attched to a trickle charger of sorts.

Removed, the battery will fare better of course.

My bike spends most of its time out side. Its only ever garaged when im round my grandads house.

I found that recently me bike's been harder to start, so i've bought a trickle charger (Which i plan to use about once a week) and its seemed to make it better. :D

So attach to a charger and start every week for a good 10-15 mins minimum i believe would be a good idea.

Hello,

By bike is in the garage for the cold months. Stopped riding at the end November and probably won't ride it again till at least March I would think- I am not as hardcore as some of you people it appears. I do go out and start my bike from time to time but someone has advised me to remove the battery and bring it inside else it will freeze and become useless.

I was somewhat dubious, think of all the cars and bikes that sit outside in the elements all winter, but then again I don't want to ruin the battery if there is any truth to it. This is the first winter I've owned a bike so not had to consider this before.

What does everyone else think

Starting the bike every now and again will wreck and deplete the battery..take it out for a good run every now and again to fully recharge it and keep it healthy.. :)

If you do take it out don't forget to put the rest of your bike into storage (i.e. drain fuel and oil) otherwise you'll have lots more work to get it running well again in the spring!

If you definitely will not start the bike up until March the best thing for the battery is to charge it fully and keep it off the bike in the house somewhere. Personally I just keep mine on a trickle charger (mine's an Optimate 3, you can get an Optimate 4 now or an Oxford Oximiser - they all do the same thing) and that keeps it in tip top condition...but I use my bike regularly so taking the battery off isn't an option for me.

(i.e. drain fuel and oil)

NO NO NO.

Change the oil and filter before storing and fill the fuel tank. Fumes are a fire hazzard and dry carbs will gum up.

There is a school of thought that running the bike for short periods is worse than not starting it. Have a look on google for condensation in the oil. 8-)

(i.e. drain fuel and oil)

NO NO NO.

Change the oil and filter before storing and fill the fuel tank. Fumes are a fire hazzard and dry carbs will gum up.

There is a school of thought that running the bike for short periods is worse than not starting it. Have a look on google for condensation in the oil. 8-)

Isnt that why its worth starting it up every week or so, to get the bike warm as poss? Help to reduce condensation..

although, its going to happen, as the bike cools it will suck in moisture etc, but with a oil and filter change after the storage should clean it out.. then with it being used alot more in the summer months (and it being generally warmer) it shouldn't happen again.

I do believe its a good idea to replace the seals of the oil drain plug and oil filler plug, to help reduce this problem.

Yea just get an oximiser, i just bought one, fully charged my dead battery in about an hour then continued to trickle charge it. i got mine from argos for £30.

Good thing is, at least youv'e got a garage to put your baby in, mines stuck outside, it breaks my heart. :crybaby:

• 2 weeks later...

An oximiser has saved me a new battery. Mine was having to get a jump start from the car, but it flattened overnight. I've used an oximiser and now it's charged and held it's charge, starting fine. Bike's stored in a sub-zero temp garage with battery attached. Now I just plug in the oximiser when I know it'll not be used for a week or more. :thumb:

its in a garage, so its already insulated more than some bikes, get a decent charger, and as long as you have a power source (socket, Extension lead etc..) put on charge every now and again.. the optimates have a link up cable so easy to connect and disconnect.. its what i do, but mines in a tent ( :shock: )

My Gixxer went in the shed mid November and won't come out of there until the end of Feb I expect. Too frikkin cold frankly. Shitty weather is what cars are for :)

Battery came off in mid-December when i was sure I wasn't going to use it, tyres went up to 50psi (put a post-it on the instruments so you don't forget to let them down again) and I rotate them bi-weekly (move it forwards a foot, then backwards a foot a fortnight later). Full tank of gas, sprayed a light coat of WD40 on the exposed parts such as footpegs, levers, suspension linkage etc and ...

... don't forget to put something a) in the end of the pipe and b) in the induction intakes if you have them. It wouldn't be the first time a mouse had thought that an airbox made a lovely place to rest it's head.

... don't forget to put something a) in the end of the pipe and b) in the induction intakes if you have them. It wouldn't be the first time a mouse had thought that an airbox made a lovely place to rest it's head.

a plastic bag or a condom works well to stope water and mice!!!! entering your orifices..

• 3 weeks later...