What would be the easiest route to ride this bike?

Guest Dozed_monkey

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and if all things work out hopefully not my last!

Just want to briefly apologize, the answer to my question is most likely availible on the forum/on the web, but I've read and read, but I get very easily lost in the multiple threads of possible licenses.

Basically I just bought a working Honda CM 125 1983, and it's my first ever motorcycle; Literally, I haven't ever owned a moped, nor have I taken any test. I am 21 years of age, and I want to be riding this thing ASAP and as cheap and straight forward as possible, as I'm near broke being a student.

So, I'm under the impression I need at least a CBT test, and a motorcycle theory test - How long would these realistically take/cost, and would I be able to ride my Honda on the road/motorway/carry a pillion passenger?

Thanks! Paddy.

Edit: I have a provision car license too.

Hiya Paddy, pop into newbie section and say Hi as well :thumb:

Assuming you have provisional licence for a bike too, you need a CBT. Contact a local training school for prices etc. Some other members should be able to answer more definitively.

Once you have completed the Compulsory Basic Training, it only lasts for 2 years, you cannot go on motorways or carry a pillion.

Like I say, some other members will be able to offer more insight than I, but it's a start!!

Hi Paddy.

Where abouts are you?

As Dan says, Compulsory Basic Training is exactly that - compulsory!

Once you have your CBT you are free to use your 125 for up to 2 years before renewing - or preferably, passing your full bike test.

hi there, yes you do need a CBT but this is not a test, its training and thats it :) you dont need a theory test, thats simply there for the full licence.

your provisional covers both car and bike (A being bike and B being car) (and also moped, tractor, etc) so all you need in terms of the licencing side is a CBT.

Good luck :)

As above really, you need;

To ride your bike on L plates (no passengers, no motorways, no bigger bike than a 125);

Provisional license (50 pounds)

CBT (costs between 80-120 pounds)

Oh, and insurance! I imagine will be below £200 for you.

To ride your bike without L plates (with passengers, on motorways, and get a bigger bike if you wish);

Provisional license (50 pounds)

CBT (costs between 80-120 pounds)

Theory test (£31)

Mod1 test (£15.50)

Mod2 test (£75)

Insurance

Any questions, feel free to PM me anytime, i've just gone through all this and have spent too much time learning all the necessary information :P hah.

Thanks a lot guys, that was very helpful and exactly what I needed to know! :D

Although, pushing my luck with the new found gift of having real people to ask, theoretically if I wanted to ride it on the motorway/carry a passenger, would I be looking at a lot more time/money, or is it a whole new level of experience on the whole?

Thanks! Paddy. :)

Edit: Ignore the latter question, it has already be answered above, thank you for your help. :)

You cannot ride on the motorway until you have passed your test

You cannot ride a vehicle under 125cc on the motorway

You cannot ride a vehicle over 125cc without passing a test.

You cannot carry a pillion until you have passed your test - and are insured for a passenger!

As all above really however consider the following?

You do have 2 options for test, Standard on 125cc restricted to 33bhp for 2 years or Direct Access!

In your situation, I WOULD not want to be riding a 125cc on the Motorway with a Pillion so the latter Direct Access might be better, getting a bigger bike?

However if you are on a Budget then this might not be an option!

You can PM me if I can be of any help!

You cannot ride on the motorway until you have passed your test

You cannot ride a vehicle under 125cc on the motorway

sorry to correct, its its under 50cc thats not allowed on motorways, anything above (the C70, C90, learner legal 125's) are allowed on motorways as long as you have a full licence :) although personally i wouldnt carry a pillion on a motorway on my 125 :lol: :lol:

I stand corrected - I wouldn't want to go on a Motorway on something as small as a moped - which is why they are usually only 49cc and therefore prohibited from Mways.

as the first step after getting your lisence is CBT there are two important questions to ask instructors

price (£80 - £120)

what does that get you although it is a training course some instructors expect you to pay twice if they cant do there job and train you to a satifactory standard and some will charge you if you fall of there bike and break something.

try and get a instructor who wont charge you over and over week after week

I heard about a lad who was sent away by the instructor and told to get more experience

good luck