Replacement Brake Calipers

Mk5Centurion

I've bought some replacement calipers from evilbay and intend to give them a good clean up; i was looking at buying a seal kit to replace the old ones.....does anyone have any tips about splitting the caliper and getting the pistons out? or just general caliper clean up tips would be appreciated.

Ta muchy :D

I've bought some replacement calipers from evilbay and intend to give them a good clean up; i was looking at buying a seal kit to replace the old ones.....does anyone have any tips about splitting the caliper and getting the pistons out? or just general caliper clean up tips would be appreciated.

Ta muchy :D

looky here... http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... e+overhaul

youll need to remove the pistons, an Airline or a basic brake set up will create pressure to push the piston out, or you could try grips, just be careful as they can scratch the piston (wet and dry the piston to remove any rough)

remove seals with a small flat bladed screwdriver, ensuring you have new seals and they look similar to the old ones..

put the caliper in a bath (pan) of diesel or degreasant, overnight (in the shed..)

take out, rinse off, and dry thoroughly, (radiator on top of a towel...)

then rebuild, use a dab of brake fluid on the seals and the internal sides of the piston and it should all go together easily.. make sure the piston is square before pushing home (not fully, just enough to take pads and disc)

fit pads, refit to hose, and disc, then bleed.

if you want, you can then do the same with your old calipers, (depending on there condition) and sell on, refurb calipers will sell..

whats the bike, and whats the reason for new calipers...

whats the bike, and whats the reason for new calipers...

ZZR-600 fitted with the cr*p Tokico calipers.....upgrading to Nissin's from a Fireblade, its a popular mod amongst owners as the mounting holes are the same distance apart as the stock Kwak's. The holes need rethreading from M8 to M10 to use the original bolts but my engineer brother has a tap and die set....

Lucky for me the Nissin's came with all the hoses, master cylinder, lever and mounts that i'm going to replace the entire front brake setup 8-)

I was going to suggest an upgrade on the master cylinder, but you have that covered, i'm fitting a Bandit 12 MC to my 750 as it has the B6 MC.. bigger piston so more fluid for less lever travel, a popular mod with the GSXF lot, and some B6'rs, won't make me any faster though... :mrgreen: