changing grips

spunky1976

ok so this might be a bit of a dim question but....... How do i go about changing my grips or more importantly securing them when they have been changed, do you use the grip lock glue on the throttle side do you use grip lock glue at all? there are so many different grips i've become a little confused :oops:

mine are just held by friction.. take off by inserting small screwdriver and spraying WD40, then twist off, spray bar with WD and slide new on, you can use grip glue for the bar side, throttle should have notches etc that hold rubber in place.. same with heated grips, but immerse in boiled water to soften or plug in and turn on to heat..

Will the WD not make the grips slippy Frankie? I spose it will just wear off after a while...

Good tip about soaking heated grips in hot water, I'd not thought of that before as I normally just heat them up. I've always used a good dribbling of super glue to keep my grips in place. You have to be fairly quick though or it'll set with them half on! I've also heard of people using hair spray and photo spray mount adhesive, all good stuff.

Not all bikes have ridges in the throttle tube, so if yours doesn't don't worry about it (my Honda doesn't, but Suzuki seem to, as do Ducatis). For heated grips these will have to be removed - in the past I've found the best way is to use a very sharp craft knife. A Stanley knife will work but I find it a bit too short. For standard grips, like Frankie says, just leave the ridges on.

i've found that the WD40 assists application but gets squeegeed out by the rubber, a rubber mallet will help if they get tight, (a mallet also works with removing heated grips.......)

Hiya,

I've found (and this sounds odd) that using extra strong hair spray works well for getting the new grips on and when it dries holds the grip in place. it acts as a lube in the 1st instance but dries quickly and wont budge. it's also easy to "break the seal" with i thin screwdriver when you want to replace the grip.

it wont leave any hard to move residue and dries totaly clear plus washes off with warm soapy water if it drips on the fairing.

i've used it on all my mountain bikes (even on the twist grip gears which get alot of hammer) and motorbikes over the years.