Talking OnBike Video (split from Track Day Discussion)

Guest philgale

Just thought I would mention that I had a few problems with the Contour HD that I bought (the massive amount of wind noise mentioned above being one of them but the others were more technical issues/faults) and I have now sent it back and swapped it for a GoPro HD (which cost £70 on top of the £200 I paid for the Contour :| ) so I'll post an example video from that next week when it arrives :)

Here's a comparison from someone on youtube between the GoPro HD and Contour HD - the audio seems miles better with the GoPro

">

Got my GoPro HD today :) Made a little test video on the same road that I did the test video for the Contour HD on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXPy-UUkRBc

One problem I had though is that you cant rotate the GoPro like you can with the Contour HD so I had to film the video sideways and then rotate it afterwards in my video editing software, but this means that the top and bottom get chopped off. It doesnt particularly matter in this test video as its only more sky and the bottom of the wheel that are missing. Phil - how are you mounting your GoPro? Do you have to film sideways as well?

Guest philgale

no mate, there are loads of mounts so you dont have to film that way.

i had it stuck to the front of the bike facing forwards and backwards

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4373563509_0b8fde8718.jpg

and forward and rear mount

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2760/4374303348_4df87f5fa3.jpg

Ah right, I'll have to try find somewhere forward facing to mount mine then. You got any footage from this weekend on youtube yet then? :)

Oh and also, how are you planning on getting these adhesive mounts off? I tried to get one off yesterday and ended up using a knife and scratching my paintwork quite a bit :( There must be a better way but I sure as hell couldnt find one, when they are stuck on so well..

there designed to stay on all the time.

Yeah but not like FOREVER. I know they are not designed to be taken off every now and then or anything but realistically not everyone who uses them is going to want them on there for the rest of the bike's lifetime. I mean what if you sold the camera, you would have no need for them.. or sold the bike and the buyer didnt want them on there etc etc.

Guest philgale

if you sell the camera then they can buy more mounts them selves. iv just sold my sv fairings and that had a gopro mount on it.

to get them off try heating it up with a hair dryer first.

Guest philgale
yeah I'll give that a go next time - someone also recommended WD40 which seems odd to me but apparently it works really well.

lighter fluid is pretty good too....