Riding in the fog

hurtank

Riding in the fog is really nerv racking. or atleast i think so. heres a few tips i find that help me out.

First off. the speed limit is not a target. in the fog your visibility is drastically reduced for obvious reasons. riding at the speed limit or abit faster can be fun. but not in the fog.

second. Dont use full beam on your lights. to cagers this is old news. but the fog does reflect your light back at you.

third. your visor in the fog can be a pain in the arse. it restricts your view. a square meter of fog contains over a gallon of water. your visor will get wet and restrict your vision more. my advice is to not have it down whilst riding in the fog.

the fog is incredibly cold. its a wet cold which can cause tyres to loose alot of heat if you ride into a fog, slow down. take it easy and keep the bike as straight as possible. your tyres can get slippery

Wrap up warm! with all the cold wind and water you will get wet and cold. best advice is to wrap up warm take heat packs in your pockets if you have some (thanks mojo) and breath steadily. with all the water in the air your body will take it in and it will cause you to sweat which ultimatly makes you cold defeating the object of the waterproof gear.

avoid it! avoiding fog isnt always possible as i found out today. but if its possible to avoid then do. common sense really.

Comfort. i found that on the road i was on it was comferting to talk to myself. i could see one cats eye at a time and going round corners i couldnt see the reflective barriers. i rode home from my uncles doing about 20 MPH the whole way looking about 3 feet infront of my tyre. i was scared. i found talking to myself on what to do next helped me alot with braking and using the gears to slow down.

get visible! the higher visibility people have of you. the better! riding at slow speeds on a busy Aroad can get dangerous. you never know what cager or even other biker might be acting the fool. so make sure you can be seen from as far a distance as possible. i find that. during daytime fog. dark clothes work better as they can be seen through the white mist. and at night as always high visibility jacket if you have one.

hope this helps someone :)

if its foggy...use the car :lol: or the bus :wink: or get a lift

:stupid: or get someone to tag onto, there rear lights are your friend :lol:

until you find that you've followed them all the way home,..... to their house. lol

regular (but not constant) use of the rear brake, just enough to illuminate the bulb, as a brake bulb is 55w, same as a fog light bulb.. (esp if you see traffic approaching to the rear). and when stationery, sit with the brake on.

regular (but not constant) use of the rear brake, just enough to illuminate the bulb, as a brake bulb is 55w, same as a fog light bulb.. (esp if you see traffic approaching to the rear). and when stationery, sit with the brake on.

Very good advice. I often sit checking my mirror at lights and then stamp the brake in time with the music when cars appear - they always notice me then (and often laugh at the guy bopping around on the bike at the lights)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been caught once riding home from work, about 2230, thick fog, pitch black A34.......I made the stupid school boy error of opening my visor, yep, had my glasses on. Instantly made it worse, tried wiping my lenses and put a greasy gloved finger print right across it. Struggled to the next service area and limped, fumbled my way to the forecourt. Opened up the visor took my glasses off and realised the fog had cleared to a mist.........Lesson learn't, nice and easy and don't open the visor right up with specs on....never mind thats what its all about.