Burning oil - piston rings?

Guest CobbZ

Hi guys. Well, i've found something wrong with the new bike!

My dad mentioned it to me... He said "it smells like its burning oil! That'll be the piston rings." I then checked the oil window, to see a TINY bit in the bottom... Now, the oil light hasn't come on yet, but less than two weeks ago, it was just over half full! And it does smell funny when i start it up, choke or no choke. At first i just assumed it was just how the bike smelt, but apparently it doesn't smell right.

So what should i do? I can't afford to take it to a mechanic. I think me and my dad would be able to replace them with the help of a haynes, but how can i be sure its actually the piston rings that are at fault?

Also, should i stop riding the bike? Will bad rings damage my engine?

Thanks for any help :)

Bike engines have changed a lot from the days of my youth & sitting on my bum taking them to bits, & these days I take the easy option & give it the mechanic to sort out,,,,,

But, yes give it a go,,, could be the rings as you say, or, I assume bike engines are the same design as modern cars & if so it could be the oil seals on the valve stems, so while it's in bits it would be worth while to do both,, Good Luck :wink:

Well, its not "new" as in an 10 plate lol, its a '98 bike, i just said new as i only bought it 2 weeks ago.

I suppose for £600, something had to be wrong with it... But hey, not the end of the world :)

Just received this reply from the EX-500 forums;

Keep riding , the damage is already done. Check oil and top up before every ride. You won't live long enough to spend as much on oil as the cost of rings or a ring job. The real worry is that, any engine that has worn it's rings to the extent you describe is marginal in many areas. Bearings Cams Chains .etc. Run it till it explodes and get a replacement off Ebay when it dies.

Is this guy right? I don't want my engine to "explode" on my whilst riding! And, how long can i expect this to last for? I haven't had any blue smoke or anything...

Edited by Anonymous

Aha, Frankies away doing what i wanna be doing! Riding around the North West xD I wish i had the spare money to go on the Myths and Legends run :(

Can't say i can hear any knocking, nothing loud anyway. The engine sounds slightly "rattly" . I can make a recording if that might help?

if it was the gasket you would have milk for oil, as the GPZ is water cooled.

i would look at your haynes for Valve shims, could be the valves are letting oil into the cylinders.. its normally part of the servicing.... so could have been missed by a DIY'er...

Check valve clearance and timing as mentioned. Could be gummed up oil ring if it's been stood otherwise valve stem oil seals and/or guides but unlikely at that mileage. Borrow a compression tester to check the combustion chamber for leaks.

I can't believe this, but i check the oil window this morning, to see it filled up again? When i ran the engine it went to half window (obviously cos it was moving round the engine) and then back to full after stopped... Weird, cos yesterday it was completely empty!

And it doesn't really smell anymore :S Maybe it leaked a little when i nearly dropped it a few days ago, and thats what was burning... Either way, seems to be running fine :)

Mate,

Just keep an eye on the oil level for the next few weeks. Bikes are always difficult because you only need to get the angle of the bike out a little to see a big change in the oil level.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts burning lots of oil (like you need to top it up after a couple of rides) or you get blue smoke when you start it from cold (blue not white smoke).

You dropped it! That explains a lot...

Keep an eye on it but it should be the end of your troubles.

The valve clearances need to be done, piece of piss job with the right feelers.

But do a full service, replace the head gasket, the piston rings, air filter, oil filter, spark plugs (preferably iridium), adjust the clutch, check the brakes.

Give it a full work over. Its not expensive, about £100 will sort you out if you use ebay,

You dropped it! That explains a lot...

Keep an eye on it but it should be the end of your troubles.

The valve clearances need to be done, piece of piss job with the right feelers.

But do a full service, replace the head gasket, the piston rings, air filter, oil filter, spark plugs (preferably iridium), adjust the clutch, check the brakes.

Give it a full work over. Its not expensive, about £100 will sort you out if you use ebay,

WHY???? don't make jobs, that don't need doing.

Shut the throttle off at high revs and see if a following mate gets covered in smoke...that'll be valve seals gone.

Smoke under hard acceleration is usually the bores/piston rings.

A wet and dry compression test will help diagnose which it is.