when to fit new brake lines

fazerboy

So when is the time right to fit aftermarket brake lines to a bike,ive been informed you wouldnt notice any difference with bikes less than 3 years old,they would be just a cosmetic upgrade,which offer no benefit to braking.

is it so then after the 3 year mark you start to see a difference with expansion to the original lines and thus aftermarket ones are deemed to be a worthwhile upgrade :?:

are there other manufacturers other than HEL?

thnak you

yeah braided,its all down too the rubber expanding with use over time,thats why the braided lines are a good and saftey mod to do.but i was just wondering if it was worth fitting to my 07 bandit 650 with 16000 miles on it,if not the money is better in my pocket :wink:

the rubber perishes over time so swells and its the black gunge you get in the master cylinder.

all my bikes have had this mod, as its simple enough to do.

the lines are narrower, and a lot better for fluid transfer,

i had some fitted to an 04 bandit,and tbh i didnt notice any difference at all,they just looked good,but i dont know if i didnt notice any difference due to my experience with the standard ones.

the lines dont expand when you brake unlike rubber ones so braking is supposed to be more responsive,but it all depends how quickly you apply the brake i suppose :)

Guest Hodgy

Brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years, as it absorbs moisture and can boil with the heat of braking in an emergency! So this is also a good opportunity to replace the brake lines too, There are a few makes...Goodridge & Hel are the most popular :)

Braided lines improve feel at the lever as all the pressure is transmitted to the caliper instead of expanding old rubber hoses, braking performance won't necessarily be improved but it does no harm. TBH better results are obtained by giving the calipers a good overhaul by replacing the seals.

Thats one upgrade I didn't do :lol:

Its something I would have done when the pads needed changing again... and its something I'm going to do on the Falco probably over the winter :lol:

Glad you found something you could upgrade!