My New SV650 Won't Start! HELP!

Toby_Smith

Hi Guys,

I recently bought an SV650S. It's a 2001 SK1

It was delivered last thursday and when the guy got it out of the van he fired it up and i saw it running. The engine sounded good and no spluttering or anything.

Since then I havent been able to get it to start. It turns over but won't fire. i've tried it with ever conbination of choke and throttle amounts but nothing. I have changed the plugs. Checked they are sparking and they are. (tested them with the lead on them but out of the cylinder so I can see them spark)

I am trying with the side stand up and the clutch in. The killswitch is not on either. Like i said it turns over but doesnt fire.

I have charged the battery right up after both sessions of trying to start it and no use either.

The fuel was very low when I got it so i put £5 of fresh petrol in it from a can. When you try turn it over for ages it backfires so it doesnt appear to be a fuel problem. It does sound like it's close to going and you can kinda hear the engine/exhaust bubbling but it just won't fire up properly!

My thought was maybe the fuel is off and the delivery guy just used what was left in the lines, but as far as I can tell it doesnt have a fuel switch.

I have checked all fuses etc and all is fine there. All the electrics work fine.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Toby

does it have a choke, or is it injection... if choke, then apply it..

suzuki wont turn over at all without clutch engaged (safety switch)

keep the button pressed with no throttle may take a while but should fire into life..

does it have a choke, or is it injection... if choke, then apply it..

suzuki wont turn over at all without clutch engaged (safety switch)

keep the button pressed with no throttle may take a while but should fire into life..

Was hoping you might show up!

Yeah I've tried it with a bit of choke, loads of choke, no throttle loads of throttle etc etc etc.

I had the button pressed for ages mate, actually flattened the battery from trying for so long. Doesnt seem to want to go! Really confusing as i've seen it going!

charge the battery, choke full on, and try it again, it will fire, and when the revs climb into the 4k, then reduce choke slightly, to about 2k... how long between seeing it run and trying it yourself? could just be the cold wet weather,

charge the battery, choke full on, and try it again, it will fire, and when the revs climb into the 4k, then reduce choke slightly, to about 2k... how long between seeing it run and trying it yourself? could just be the cold wet weather,

I've tried exactly that mate. Tonight infact. Battery came off the optimate went back in then I tried again for ages. No joy.

I saw it run last thursday, then tried myself on saturday. over that time the weather was shit hot suprisingly!

Guest philgale
I suspect I have flooded the engine and if I could sort that out I could get it to start. How the hell do I unflood it though?!

where about in manchester are you mate? i dont know that much about bikes but happy to come have a look if its any help

I suspect I have flooded the engine and if I could sort that out I could get it to start. How the hell do I unflood it though?!

where about in manchester are you mate? i dont know that much about bikes but happy to come have a look if its any help

Mate that would be brilliant. I live in Chorlton but keep the bike in Hulme.

If you could find the time I am happy to come pick you up or pay fuel costs etc

Guest philgale

cholton? i live like 5 mins away mate :lol:

happy to meet you in cholton tomorrow night and go to hulme if you want. im working till 5.30 so will be after that unless thursday im off all day so can spare the morning :thumb:

cholton? i live like 5 mins away mate :lol:

happy to meet you in cholton tomorrow night and go to hulme if you want. im working till 5.30 so will be after that unless thursday im off all day so can spare the morning :thumb:

Tomorrow evening would be grand mate. I'll buy a hefty light for B&Q through the day incase the light closes in.

Failing that I am off work on Friday, not thursday though sorry mate.

But aye, that would be great. Send me a PM with your number on it and I'll be in touch.

Thanks very much, very very helpful.

Where abouts do you live anyhow? Five mins away I'm guessin Dids?

Guest philgale

close just go the other way, im in stretford.

im hoping to actually swap my day off from thursday to friday so will let you know as friday would be quite handy...

will PM number now, doubt im gonna be much help but you never know i might have a good day :lol;