'Clocking'

Ingah

Simple enough question: How do i turn the clocks back on my 2002 CG125? (i.e. the odometer). I keep reading buyer's guides that say to check to be sure that a motorbike you're buying isn't clocked, so i'm assuming it's actually quite simple to do (especially on older mechanical style odometers). If anyone doesn't feel comfortable replying publically i'm quite happy to receive the information by PM (although the information is going to be available for those dodgy people out there no matter what we do to keep it from them). And also, if it's illegal to clock an odometer even with a valid reason (i'm pretty confident it isn't illegal in itself, although of course could be used illegally as with lots of things), then no need to tell me as i'm not willing to break the law simply to correct the mileage on my little 125! :wink:

I do have a valid reason for asking (being that the clocks were changed by the previous owner for well-used second hand ones and he didn't bother to clock them back himself as he was more bothered about spending his money on a mechanic to get it running again after an accident, but was able to satisfy me that this was genuinely done with old MOTs).

I believe this is dodgy ground, however I have heard that attaching a high speed drill to the speedo cable will advance the numbers rapidly.

I'm not sure if it is possible to decrease the numbers per se, but advancing them until the correct mileage reappears should be possible with this technique.

tampering with the mileage is not reccomended and i believe illegal.

If the clocks were changed for a genuine reason then you should have the MOTs from before and after to explain the milage changes. If you clock the bike and someone notices it will seem dodgy and not buy it.

I would keep the clocks as they are and keep all other paperwork to justify your position when selling.

DO NOT CLOCK THE BIKE, IT MAY WELL BE ILLEGAL. TMBF DOES NOT ENDORSE ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITY.