Bike wont start

GarethNW

I went to my bike this morning and it was showing no sign of life. I thought/hoped it was a dead battery. Well I took the car to work and left the bike at home. When I got back I tested the Bat and it was giving out 2.5 volts, Put it on charge and left it in the garage. My question is:

Q:Can I do any harm to my bike by jump starting with leads! I know I have done it in the past on my old bike and I know you shouldnt have the engine of the car running but can it do any harm?

I couldn't say for sure mate, but i've never had any problems after jump starting the bike, seen it done several times aswell, even with the car engine running. Funniest one was a fireblade jump started off a Morris minor :lol:

You sure you havnt hit the kill switch :P

Can't see how jump starting can cause any damage. All your doing is using a different battery to start the bike. Are you confusing it with bump starting, where you run with the bike in gear, jump on and dump the clutch. I suppose this could do some damage (not sure what), although I would imagine you would have to do it a hell of a lot before it caused any damage.

I had to bump my bike a few times the other day. Turns out the nut and bolt holding the power cable to the starter motor had rusted and no current was getting through.

i have jumped a bandit of a car with leads, and bumped a bike before, if you are going to do it with leads you need a mate, as trying to hold the leads on and push the button is not possible.

i had to put screwdrivers or bolts into the jaws to make the ends smaller to get at the terminals, again you

can be more accurate if you have someone to push the button.

more difficult on the suzukis as they have a clutch safety so mate has to pull in clutch, or cable tie it to the bar.

watching me do it on my own, trying to press the start button with my head, maybe funny, but not at the time. :up:

and PITSTOP is the ideal place for this... lol :cheers:

EDIT Thanks Dan

Edited by Anonymous

The risk in jump starting a bike, is if it has an ECU, cos it can be spiked... and kill the ECU.

Think you'd have to be darn unlucky though...

No idea tbh :mrgreen:

And you would of thought it'd be protected ....

Happened to my pops brand new FJ ... and it was the AA who jumped him, spiked the ECU, fortunately for him he had it replaced under warranty.

Thanks all, I have taken the safe option and have left it on charge for a good 6 hours! I just tried the ignition and its all looking fine atm. Will start her up in an hour or two to give the battery time to get a good charge.

Frankie you made me laugh with the bump start experience :)

Thanks all, I have taken the safe option and have left it on charge for a good 6 hours! I just tried the ignition and its all looking fine atm. Will start her up in an hour or two to give the battery time to get a good charge.

Frankie you made me laugh with the bump start experience :)

couldv'e been worse, i could be taller and therefore have to bend further... and last time i bumped started a bike, i had to ask a man to give me a push... i could cringe.... Edited by Anonymous

LOL!!

Also when charging the battery with just the engine, is this not good for the battery aswell? As its not a trickle charger it wont have such an effective charge?

LOL!!

Also when charging the battery with just the engine, is this not good for the battery aswell? As its not a trickle charger it wont have such an effective charge?

my battery is charged from the engine, thats what the alternator is for.

same as the car the charger comes in handy for periods of low use,

Last time I had to bump start the Ninja (couldn’t do that this time as there wasn’t enough pwr to get the immobilizer off) The bike was to hard to push in gear, I think that is caused by the clutch being cold? Well I had to put it in neutral and then sit on the bike as normal. Use both feet to push myself along a flat road and then quickly pop into 2nd and let the clutch out :)

Classic but it worked.

All my bikes have been hard to push in gear with clutch in and easy as hell in N

Then when the bikes been running 30 secs its easy either way

There is nothing wrong with jumping a bike off a car battery!

providing you get the polarity right you should do no damage!

The reason that it's best not to have the car engine running

is that car charging systems tend to charge at a higher current

than a bike's.

Too many Amps could damage your bike battery permanently!

I think I know what I have done!

Battery was reading fine this morning, had a run on the bike last night and its still good now. Lets hope it's just as good when I come to go home ;)

Well I think when I applied my steering lock I went one click to far and put my side lights on!

Who uses side lights?