I blew up my exhaust. Help appreciated.

Aaron

HI. I just blew up my exhaust, or something. I pulled out to overtake, pinned the throttle, and it all went loud and poppy. I rode all the way back home at 20mph because of the noise, and over bumpy ground i could hear metallic rattling and clanging behind the massive exhaust noise.

I cant see that much, and i've gotta dash off to a wedding in 10 minutes :s

Here's a picture. I dont know ho wwell it shows up, but i can see a gap in the pipe where the arrow points. And when i rev it i can see dust blowing around directly underneath on the road, in addition to the usual around where the silencer is.

Does anyone know if this sounds about right? and is it safe to ride to get fixed? (if warrenty covers it its about 30 miles away).

Also, if it sounds like that's all it is, is it expensive?

Exhaust.JPG.0e1b893f787b0bafea702c45852d4e52.JPG

could be the clamp is shot, undo the clamp, and endcan and reseal with holts firegum, and refit with a new clamp, when you remove the back box / end can you should see if theres any damaged broken pieces, not advisable to do in a suit, prior to a wedding tho'

Get it done under Warranty???

If it's not considered a consumable then I can if it's safe to ride that far.

Thank goodness for iPhones to see me through the wedding of 2 people I don't know :D

Hi. Got some better photos, and now it's cold i could have a wiggle. Looks like it's just sheared rather than any kind of seal or joint being broken. I had a quick google and it sounds like a common problem :s Oh well. I'll have to call up the dealer on monday.

a.JPG.30b7be582c845df708be83d3d136797d.JPG

b.JPG.aa77ae172245e0b4c119f766b3eb8094.JPG

hope you have made sure with them that this is at no cost to you for new part and the labour to replace it

Well when i phoned i explained that, but the woman put me through to 'servicing'. So perhaps he just picked up the phone and wasn't aware that i wanted it done under warranty.

When he calls me back to say they got the pipes i'll double check. TBH, after reading about it being a common fault, i can't see how they could refuse. He asked how many miles i'd done, so maybe that's an indicator that he's thinking about warranty conditions. Anyway after just 3 months and 2600 miles i'll get it sorted at no cost one way or another :mrgreen:

Other posts i've googled, regarding the same problem and others, all sounded like Kawasaki seem to be fairly good at that sort of thing. Fingers crossed.

I'm hoping that they can fix it while i wait and will give me a different bike to go for a joy ride on while i wait. A nice zx 6 or something 8-)

Getting new pipes fitted in the morning under warranty. Now i just hope that that really is the problem. I just said "blah blah blah" like i know what i'm talking about and he said "ok, i'll order some pipes for you". Lol.