What size bike can i ride without L plates?

Hi all,

Apologies but i have looked for the answer to this question on the internet and can't find a definite answer (not one that is easy to understand anyway)

I got a full uk Car licence in December 1997

Does this mean i can ride a bike with an engine capacity up to 125cc without L plates?

I think because of the date i passed my test i dont have to do a cbt for bikes upto this size?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

Ian

In a word, None.

You will need to complete a CBT (compulsory Basic Training) to ride a bike (assuming you are 17 and over) up to 125cc and displaying L plates.

You are in the right section for all the info at least!!

Cheers for that, i've been reading too. As i passed my test before 2001, this already entitles me to a full moped licence.

Does that mean i can ride a 125cc bike without doing the CBT first (again there seems to be some ruling around the time i passed my driving test)?

As I understand it, because you passed your test before Feb 2001, you can ride a moped.

However, a CBT is required for anything bigger, ie from 50cc -125cc. Not a big deal Ian, and a good idea anyway.

Having passed my driving test back in the 80's, I was in a similar position. I got convince to go and learn geared and I just don't like the sound of the 50cc scooters.

I ended up doing the CBT on a 125 and I cannot recommend it enough. It was great fun and I learnt loads. The main thing being driving & riding are completely different.

Having gone down the 125 route, I would recommend it, and would say regardless of what you want to ride - do the CBT.

I had a provisional bike licence before I got my full car licence which allowed me to ride 125cc without doing CBT but that was back in 1989. When I passed my car test in 1990 I also got a full moped licence and could ride 50cc without L plates. The way I understood it at the time was I could continue to ride 125cc without ever doing CBT but I would still need to get a valid CBT certificate if I wanted to take my test. This was all happening around the time CBT started so the rules were slightly different as there were people like me already riding 125 and 50cc when CBT was introduced.

I believe I could still ride a 125 without doing CBT if I wanted to.