problems with a stucke axle

supersapien

hey all

I currently have a problem. The last few days i've been noticing my bike feel like it's tugging when at speed. The only time i felt anything like it was last winter when my intake manifold had a crack in it. The bike would jerk cut out. But this time the revs aren't dropping. My chain was fairly slack so i though the bouncing of the chain was steeling the drive power maybe (or that might be impossible, phucked if i know) so i went to tighten it. I undid the axle locking nut, took it completely off to give it a wd-40 scrub,then went to turn the axle and it would not budge at all, after giving the spanner a lumping with a hammer it turns, but never gets any freer. I've tried knocking the axle out with a hammer but the exhaust is in the way. The tugging only happens when at high speed and when revs are stable (not climbing or falling). My guess is bearings? Does anyone know if i'm right AND a way to get the axle out?

Bike's a suzuki en125

And while i'm here,why would my drug brake have water in it?

weve had this before,

as its the EN it is a twin shock, so put the bike on the centre stand and undo the shock mounts, (top or bottom, not both) then lower the swingarm and wheel to the floor, this will give the cleance for the spindle to be drifted out without the exhaust being in the way.

grease up the spindle after checking the bearings. before refitting. you will need to support the swingarm when you remove the wheel, (bungee, rope) or it will fall to the floor,

and you will need to raise it to refit the wheel and the shocks when finished, so a mates help might be needed.

And while i'm here,why would my drum brake have water in it?

drum brakes heat up and then condensate so if its a lilttle water its from that, also causes problems in winter as the condensation freezes, so apply a little braking now and then stops the ice forming..

if its lots then have you driven through a lake...

lol a lake....now you mention it :P

thanks for the idea about the axle anyway,sadly dropping the swing arm only just makes the axle hittable and it's still not moving,think i might look into taking the entire swing arm out,grab a hammer and take a run up

so do you think it's the bearing too? would it not be a problem at any speed ?

and how come's the axles' not moving but the wheel spins free?

also what's the worst problem that'll happen if it's not sorted out? locking rear wheel?

the axle is stuck in the inner race of the bearings and the wheel spins on the outer race the bearing are still working but the axle has seized into the inner section of them yo might be able to sqirt some wd40 or similar in along the axle which might help dont try and knoock it all in one direction either tap it one way yhen the other that will help break the rust seal

ok got the new bearing. i've removed the swing arm with the wheel still in it. i've been wailing on the axle with a rubber mallet and it's not moving ( maybe a tiny tiny bit or i could just be being hopeful) theaxle now spins as long as the drum brake is moving, but the second ya hold the drum still, the axle won't turn. still think it's the bearing, anyway body want to come work out some anger issues on it? :D

seriously,do i just wail on it some more?

I take it you have undone the nut on the spindle?

Try turning the other side of the spindle, as if undoing it...whilst applying a pulling motion or pressing on the other end, so as you wind the spindle winds its self out..

yep,tried that. me using a crowbar, a friend hitting it with a hammer. tried screwing it and ppushing and pulling. covered everything in wd40 (the dog included) it just won't budge.

(which reminds me,what's best for getting wd40 off tyres? lol)

yep, you was right. took it too a garage and they put it in a pressure vice and popped it out in seconds. serviced the entire wheel and swing arm and it's all back together and freed up now. just goes to prove,no matter what ya skill level. you some times really do need the right tool

thanks for your help guys

how do i delete this thread now?