MOTO GP Getting knee down

Lumor_uk

Watched some this afternoon first time properly since getting a bike, what's with sticking their foot out just before they enter the corner and doing something to the back of their bike. Think I over heard something about suspension, could someone enlighten me please thanks.

I believe Rossi started it off in MotoGP, due to his motocross riding. The commentators are still not sure if its meant to widen the bike to make it harder for rivals to pass, act as an air brake, help transfer weight, help him corner or its just something he naturally does. They often say that the others will follow Rossi no matter what crazy things he did, so the rest of the field now appear to be doing it?!?

I think the thing with the back of the bike is throwing it in, its more apparent in some of the Moto2 riders who have the back end stepping out as they start turning. Its looks awesome, power sliding the bike, however if it happened to me I'd probably soil my leathers :D

Yeah, i'm pretty sure it's to increase drag too, Rossi started doing it a couple of years ago and tbh, before this season, I hadn't noticed anybody else doing it, but noticed Dovizioso and RdP doing it yesterday - I dare say more do it, but I cant say i've seen them

The back end wriggles about like that because they're breaking so hard approaching a bend and so much weight is transferred to the front that the back tyre barely has any traction, as soon as they ease off the breaks and get back on the power in the bend though the back sticks again... at least that's how I've made sense of the wiggly back wheels, maybe some of the track vets on here could shed more light.

The leg-out thing? I think it's just Rossis habit, and people assume there's some hi-tech reason for it so they're all trying it too, I can't imagine a scrawny little leg is going act as an "air brake".

The back end wriggles about like that because they're breaking so hard approaching a bend and so much weight is transferred to the front that the back tyre barely has any traction, as soon as they ease off the breaks and get back on the power in the bend though the back sticks again... at least that's how I've made sense of the wiggly back wheels, maybe some of the track vets on here could shed more light.

The leg-out thing? I think it's just Rossis habit, and people assume there's some hi-tech reason for it so they're all trying it too, I can't imagine a scrawny little leg is going act as an "air brake".

I always always under the impression that the leg out was to stop close overtakes. Although i suppose it may help "pull" the bike in to the corner or something? Considering they do anything and everything possible to reduce drag normally, it may have more of an effect than you think..... ever taken your hand off the handle bars at 100mph? :lol: Really does drag a bit!

I always always under the impression that the leg out was to stop close overtakes. Although i suppose it may help "pull" the bike in to the corner or something? Considering they do anything and everything possible to reduce drag normally, it may have more of an effect than you think..... ever taken your hand off the handle bars at 100mph? :lol: Really does drag a bit!

I suppose so yeah, if I ever bump into Rossi I'll ask him :mrgreen:

The guy on the repsol that was third for most of the race kept doing it. At one point the commentator said "There's so and so with the leg out, trying to bleed off some speed".

I suppose that even if it helps him lose 1mph he can come onto the brakes later and try to slip up on the inside of the guy infront.

I suppose so yeah, if I ever bump into Rossi I'll ask him :mrgreen:

I think it's an airbrake as I've often seen them do it when they're overtaking on the arrival to the corner and need any extra help to brake before getting to the corner.

When I'm travelling quite fast and need to increase the gap between me and the vehicle in front I often sit upright and use that drag to slow me down instead of using the brakes.

When I'm travelling quite fast and need to increase the gap between me and the vehicle in front I often sit upright and use that drag to slow me down instead of using the brakes.

Are you about 6ft wide or something?! :up:

I think the latest theory is the air brake one. I would say it's more of an MX cross-over thing though, either to get more weight on the front or set up for the corner or even just a habit thing. Never looks right on a sports bike though IMO.

There was an article in MCN the other week where they calculated (roughly) the affect of sticking the leg out as an air brake. I can't remember the exact figures but it concluded that there was enough effect for it to be worthwhile.

In motorcross they actually plant their inside leg on the ground as they turn so it's different. They also keep their bodies upright and lean the bike, the opposite of what a road racer does. I think supermoto racers hang the leg out more like what the moto gp riders do.

Are you about 6ft wide or something?! :up:

I think the latest theory is the air brake one. I would say it's more of an MX cross-over thing though, either to get more weight on the front or set up for the corner or even just a habit thing. Never looks right on a sports bike though IMO.

Not far off. :)

Yup i do the same aswell, sit up right, and as my bikes a twin, use the engine braking. Dont usually need to use the brakes much unless i really need to scrub of some speed for a corner.