strange battery problem

flashash

Hi there,

I have a problem with my battery, before I bought a new one i checked the battery was being charged by the bike, it was so i assumed it was a dead cell in the battery. However i bought a new battery charged it then put it in great for a few starts then i noticed that it was struggerling to start it to the point that eventually it wouldnt start (after about 5 starts). I am not sure what to do next any suggestions would be appreciated, missing out on the nice weather :(

are you starting it and riding it, or just starting it off the button and turning it off, the latter will drain the battery and is not advisable, a battery needs the engine running to take a charge form the alternator to replenish (top up) the charge used to start it.. same happens when running with lights etc , theres less replacemnet/top up, so takes longer

don't know if its same for a bike, but an RAC guy came out to me in the car for a flat battery told me it takes 20 minutes at at least 50mph to charge a battery up fully from the alternator with no electrics running.

Edited by spunky1976

Yeah I charged it with an optimate before putting it in, One of my friends suggested a bad earth how would I go about checking that and would you think it was that ?

a bad earth would have other problems, i'd suggest its just being ridden enough to recharge

Use an Ampmeter check the battery with

1) The engine off

2) The engine running

Then take the bike for a good 20 min run with your lights on and

3) Immediatly check the battery with engine running.

If the voltage is low your rectifier is on its way way out.

If its fine you've ruled one more thing out

Use an Ampmeter check the battery with

1) The engine off

2) The engine running

Then take the bike for a good 20 min run with your lights on and

3) Immediatly check the battery with engine running.

If the voltage is low your rectifier is on its way way out.

If its fine you've ruled one more thing out

Use a Multimeter set on volts as your measuring volts not amps. Check battery before starting it should be around 12.7v if it's a good battery, start it then check again, it should run at around 14.7v whilst ticking over. Get someone to switch the lights on while you hold the voltmeter on, voltage should drop slightly then increase back to 14.7v.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help everyone the problem got a lot worse even though the battery was fully charged.

I started looking at other things and turns out the magnets in the starter motor were all broken and other parts inside melted.

Any idea cheapest place to get one? Bike is a bandit GSF650 2006.